Subway Rocket Reverb tone suggestions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrTeng

Reaction score
Hi guys 'n girlz,

I'll probably be the most recent newbe here on the forum. A few years ago I bumped into a Studio 22+ and that was an historical moment. What a sound! I was hooked by compact design an the tone. Right now I own the Subway Rocket Reverb combo. It's a mean beast, but I got the feeling I can get more out of it.

I changed some stuff on my setup on the amp itself: I connect a loadbox (Koch) to it, for great tone I use mostly the 25% output. Loud enough and I can push the poweramp tubes properly. I disconnected the Black Shadow and right now I use a 2.12" V30 cabinet. It sounds warmer and the response is not that direct (in your face 10" !!) of the combo itself. Better imho.
I like warm sounding stuff, but with a possible bite in it. The treble goes down to 1 on the amp. Also, I'm fiddling with the contour switch. My style is jazz to powerful bluesrock, EvH for the occasion (phaser and lead on the subway, Bob's your uncle) but nothing heavier than that.

Guitars: G&L ASAT Special USA (marvellous piece of wood, very bright btw: tricky on lead, earpiercing on contour) , a G&L Legacy Tribute HSS for backup and an Ibanez AS jazz semi-hollow. For effects a few filters (Q tron, CAE Wah, FM4) and in my fx-loop a Nova System. I am very happy with it.

Any tips and tricks are very welcome! It took me a while to get my way around with the combo and I'm really content with my sounds, but in a way I feel like it can do better. Recently serviced, tubes, pots and internal work is 100% (which wasn't).

Alright, gotta go.. !

Back