Not Enough Gain

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vshine

Reaction score
Is it possible with a Mesa? I can't seem to get enough with my Solo 50. The gain stays about 3:00 oclock and treble is the same, the precesence about 12:00 The louder I turn up the master volume, it gets louder and more definition, but I lose gain. What am I doing wrong?

Vshine said:
Is it possible with a Mesa? I can't seem to get enough with my Solo 50. The gain stays about 3:00 oclock and treble is the same, the precesence about 12:00 The louder I turn up the master volume, it gets louder and more definition, but I lose gain. What am I doing wrong?

(2 channel or 3 channel??)

Are you turning up the Channel Volume or the Main FX Loop Volume?

2 channel

I don't use the FX loop, and I use the master about 11 - 12:00 and the output to about 9:00 or more

Hmmmmm, thats certainly strange.

The opposite of what you are experience should be true (higher volume = more gain).

What are the states of your tubes??
Could be related.

Maybe its some sort of audio illusion based on the room you are in?
In other words try to see if you can replicate this occurence in a room that is a different size.

Also are you sure the electrical outlet you plugged it into is up to par?

Hmmmm, I live in the uk and was wondering how big a transformer to use with my dual rec (seeing as my anp is american) apparently with the amp being 100w i needed a 500w transformer, this is what i am using at the moment.

Vshine said:

Possible is your Guitar, I use ESP KH2 and I never use gain over 2:00 for DeathMetal /Cannibal Cropse stuff, Turn down your treble to 1:00-12:00, 3:00 sounds too harsh to me anyway :wink: IMO. When I use My Gibby LP Std(with brustbrucker pros), it actually has much more gain than my EMG81 Loaded KH2

Secondly, might be your cab. check it,

Then might be someting to do with Head it self(Valve?). But check the guitar first.

The best thing I will do is to bring my own guitar down to any shop that has Rectos, go there, play their Rectos in the shop with your own setting, You might found the problem easier! :D

Good luck with your SOLO50!

Thats your problem.... your in the UK :lol: Just kidding, I'd check your tubes or your guitar cable? I do know that my Triple Rectifier isn't the amp I've had with the highest gain, there are other (higher) gain amps out there but the boogie sound heavier with less gain and sound better all around (IMO).

throw out the 6L6 and put in EL34! monstrous gain will be your friend

The V1 head, can't do that, can it? I don't want to add a bias switch.

The cab sounds great, it's enclosed 2x12. I run about a PRS Custom 22 with a 15 cable through a Dunlop wah straight into my head.

Could very well be the tubes, I will end up retubing in Sept, but was told not to retube until you absolutely have to. Is there a inexpensive tube that produces a higher gain? 5- 12ax7 and 2- 6L6 is what is in there now.

Also are you sure the electrical outlet you plugged it into is up to par

i run my power line out to a surge protector into an outlet. I did have to get a non-mesa power cord.....could that make a difference?

MoensJ said:

pish posh.
They just break up earlier and have different dynamics.

Changing powertubes and swearing about a huge difference is rookie speak. If you want a real change, start with the front end of the amp.

And Vshine:

I dont think the non-Mesa chord will make a difference.
Ive been running my single-recto for years with one.

Jimmy55 said:
Hmmmm, I live in the uk and was wondering how big a transformer to use with my dual rec (seeing as my anp is american) apparently with the amp being 100w i needed a 500w transformer, this is what i am using at the moment.

Its not so much having to have 500w, But having the right Amps.

I have an American (110v) Mark IV.
I use a 1000watt 8.7 amp stepdown transformer, that I took from my uncles factory from a WAVE SOLDERING MACHINE!
I bet my stepdown could run a whole 12 space rack.

Vshine said:

Could very well be the tubes, I will end up retubing in Sept, but was told not to retube until you absolutely have to. Is there a inexpensive tube that produces a higher gain? 5- 12ax7 and 2- 6L6 is what is in there now.

Its possible. If you feel you are familiar with the tubes you have now and know all the different sounds you can get out of em, I dont see anything wrong with changing em. The old ones can always serve as a back-up pair.

And for tubes, drop Bob an Email from www.EuroTubes.com hes got a few high-gain options for rectos.

I figuired out quite a bit on the head today. The manual is a must read. High gain acquired.

Vshine said:
I figuired out quite a bit on the head today. The manual is a must read. High gain acquired.

Ah. Yes, the tone stack is a little tricky. Manual is a must read.

Vshine said:

good to hear man!

I keep telling newer Mesa owners to really check out the manual (most of them laugh off the idea) because these things do have a pretty high learning curve.

Cranking the channel volume and lowering the master output volume, adjusting the presence and treble to find an inbetween mix.

What's up V. I have the Solo 50 version 2 with a 2X12 Vertical.

Gear.jpg

I had the same problem, but I realized that the cab had something to do with it and that's why I now have the vertical. Anyway, Bob at Eurotubes was very cool and he hooked me up with a "High Gain" mod kit for my Recto with 6L6's and E34L's for $108 w/ Shipping...I'm in the U.S.. That's a pretty good deal and the change is very nice. I know have my original's as backup and change every once in a while, so I don't get bored of the sound.

My settings for Modern Crushing Distortion are:

Output 9 oclock
Main 11-12 oclock
Presence 9-10 oclock
Bass 11 oclock
Mid 11-12oclock
Treble 1 oclock
Gain 2-3 oclock

There is a lot of noise with these settings, so I use a noise gate and I've just picked up the MXR KFK 10 band EQ...WOW!! Great boost and control over the distortion.

I've also read and may get an Overdrive pedal to run in front of the amp ala ZW to try and get a little more gain. Not sure though.

Oh, If you can do it, I would get the Bias Mod. Mine comes standard but it's cool feature and lets me change the sound a little and keeps my amp feeling fresh sounding.

JA

I bet that ZW sounds like a monster through that rig. I'm leaning towards getting a 2x12 recto cab, maybe the breakup of the lower watt speakers will help also.

I started messing around with the lead boost on the vintage channel.

So killer sounding.

Back