Difference between two 25w amps.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megadeth79

Reaction score
i would like to take one of this two guitar heads: mark v 25 or rectoverb 25.
I would like to know what you think of these ,which do you think is the most ' versatile, which is better for live with the band,which takes better pedals expecially overdrive and distortion pedals.I have a mesa cab 2x12 horizontal to match with vintage 30.
thanks

Megadeth79 said:
i would like to take one of this two guitar heads: mark v 25 or rectoverb 25
which do you think is the most ' versatile,
Both amps are extremely versatile, but they're voiced differently. It just depends on which voice you prefer.
Megadeth79 said:
which is better for live with the band
Which band? What kind of music? Again, it's just a preference of which voice you like better. If you know what you're doing as far as how to set-up an amp for the sound you want, you can do just about anything with either amp. I have a Mini Rec (same circuitry as the Rectoverb 25 but without reverb) that I use for jazz, blues, and classic rock-type tones in the bass-drums-guitar trio I'm in. It also works really well for recording in my little home studio.
Megadeth79 said:
which takes better pedals expecially overdrive and distortion pedals.
All Mesa amps take pedals very well, but which pedal you use and for which purpose is up to you. Some pedals seem to work better over a clean signal from the amp while others work better in conjunction with some dirt already coming from the amp. I prefer the Mesa OD 99% of the time (Mesa OD is what drew me to them in the first place), but I keep a ZVex Distortron (touted as a JTM 45-in-a-box pedal) clone on my board for those rare occasions when I want something different; I use that with the clean channel as it doesn't really play well with the amp OD.

I've found that, within reason, I can get just about any decent amp to do what I want it to do. Obviously, an unreasonable expectation may be something like getting either of the amps you're considering to closely replicate a dimed Marshall Super Lead in a live setting, or getting a Fender Twin Reverb for sizzling overdrive at bedroom levels without a pedal.

As always, "try before you buy" is the best way to do it. If that's not feasible, it's going to be hit or miss. Getting opinions can be helpful, but keep in mind that what other people think is "good" might not be your ideal of "good".

KiwiJoe said:
Megadeth79 said:
i would like to take one of this two guitar heads: mark v 25 or rectoverb 25
which do you think is the most ' versatile,
Both amps are extremely versatile, but they're voiced differently. It just depends on which voice you prefer.
Megadeth79 said:
which is better for live with the band
Which band? What kind of music? Again, it's just a preference of which voice you like better. If you know what you're doing as far as how to set-up an amp for the sound you want, you can do just about anything with either amp. I have a Mini Rec (same circuitry as the Rectoverb 25 but without reverb) that I use for jazz, blues, and classic rock-type tones in the bass-drums-guitar trio I'm in. It also works really well for recording in my little home studio.
Megadeth79 said:
which takes better pedals expecially overdrive and distortion pedals.
All Mesa amps take pedals very well, but which pedal you use and for which purpose is up to you. Some pedals seem to work better over a clean signal from the amp while others work better in conjunction with some dirt already coming from the amp. I prefer the Mesa OD 99% of the time (Mesa OD is what drew me to them in the first place), but I keep a ZVex Distortron (touted as a JTM 45-in-a-box pedal) clone on my board for those rare occasions when I want something different; I use that with the clean channel as it doesn't really play well with the amp OD.

I've found that, within reason, I can get just about any decent amp to do what I want it to do. Obviously, an unreasonable expectation may be something like getting either of the amps you're considering to closely replicate a dimed Marshall Super Lead in a live setting, or getting a Fender Twin Reverb for sizzling overdrive at bedroom levels without a pedal.

As always, "try before you buy" is the best way to do it. If that's not feasible, it's going to be hit or miss. Getting opinions can be helpful, but keep in mind that what other people think is "good" might not be your ideal of "good".
i like to play rock music in general (pop rock, classic rock, rock blues, hard rock, and 80 hair metal). I wanted to know which of the two was more appropriate to get an idea,t hen it is normal that I will try the tho head before i buy it.

There's tons of YouTube videos on both of these amps, they're very popular. Get some decent headphones/earphones and watch and listen.

You really need to A/B these amps in person before you make a decision. I own an F30, Rectoverb 25 combo, and have A/B'd the Recto against the Express 5:25+. These amps along with the Mark 5:25 all use the same Dyna Watt 2xEL84 power sections, yet all have their own unique sound and feel. I have not played through the Mark head, but I can tell you that the Recto 25 combo is head and shoulders above the Express in terms of response, depth, and liveliness. It's a very special amp.. the best EL84 Mesa I've played since the Rocket 440 4x10.

Back