Early Maverick Gut Shots - Anybody Else Have One to Compare?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monsta-Tone

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I traded a really nice Silverface Vibrolux Reverb for an extremely early Maverick combo and a Marshall Haze combo for my son.

I know the Vibrolux will be worth more someday, but I want amps I can play.

I've worked on this amp before, so I knew what I was getting myself into, but does anyone else have a Maverick like this?
It looks to be an extremely early prototype or first production run, using a DC-3 circuit board.
Serial number is 24.
Lots of soldering iron burns on the filter caps and relays. One of the relays is actually missing the top..........
Looks like they were in a super huge hurry to get them out the door.

All in all, it sounds freaking incredible! I have tons of relays and a cap job will erase all of the solder burns.
The clean channel sounds beautiful just like a Mav should!
The lead channel has way more gain on tap, which I like!

Here are some gut shots:

This is my second Mav. First being the short head version in blonde. Best amp I ever had. But, while chasing tone I sold that one. Grass is always greener huh? Maybe/maybe not. I got this Mav a few months ago from a guy for $300. It was his dad's and it was not treated right. Trying to bring her back from near death. Have a pesky low hum modulating with notes on my guitar that are high on fret board. Sigh. Anyhoo, mine is 1993 I'm assuming from board. Yours doesnt have a date? Maybe on a transformer or something?

Guys, you might have that limited production runs of prototype Mavericks (75 made[?] 1-12" combo in a size of small Mark Series enclosure) before they went in to production (the usual 2x12" combos) with more added features.

:D Right on, thanks guys!

Mine says, "DC-3A 1993."
It definitely looks like a prototype. Not sure if all the burns are from building it or somebody trying to repair it.
Given that one of the relays was missing it's top, I'd say that some jackal tried to mod it or repair it by re-soldering every connection.
I'm thinking both. This thing has a lot more gain than my last Maverick!

It has all of the functions of the standard Mav, even has a serial number.
I bet that mine is somewhere between the 75 prototypes and yours.

One day I'll get a 2x12 combo! 1x12's are so handy, but man do they sound boxy......Maybe I'll throw in a Tone Tubby and get rid of the Vintage 30.

I replaced the relay and fixed everything that was wrong with it, just needs new caps now and then all of the burns will be gone!

bringing this old thread back to life, Maverick threads are few and far between. I recently acquired a 1x12 combo and I've noticed some differences between it and the other Mavericks I've owned in the past. I have owned two other 2x12 combos. I purchased one new in the nineties from a dealer that had ordered it in. It came with Greenbacks in it. That particular amp sounded freaking amazing. Like all gear addicted fellows I sold it. Then later purchased another one. The second 2x12 amp was very different then the first one and the one I have now. the second amp pretty much sucked on one channel I don't remember remember which channel. This 1x12 I have now is freaking amazing. The clean channel is fantastic nice and spanky, the reverb is great too. The overdrive channel is smoking, just very smooth and sustaining. When I get a chance I'll post some innard pics.

I ended up swapping the stock MC-90 out with a Celestion Creamback G12-M65. The MC-90 had lost some of its top end. I installed the MC-90 into 1x12 cab I have for use with the Maverick.

Back