Mark V 25/Rectoverb 25 with oversized 4x12

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orionz06

Reaction score
Anyone run either head with the oversized slant cab? I have a few I can grab but won't be able to test the head with it. My concern is it being too flubby as some people mention.

orionz06 said:
Anyone run either head with the oversized slant cab? I have a few I can grab but won't be able to test the head with it. My concern is it being too flubby as some people mention.

Tried with Randall XXL cab, it's not Mesa but it's kind of Mesa Oversized clone with v30, and MarkV:25 sounds awesome in it!

After 12 years playing with slant Standards I've yet to have a problem with the cab being flubby.

Now... I've dialled in some flubby settings on my amp, but I can't really blame the cab for that, now can I?

Mesa Standard Slanted is one of the best cabs with v30. Precise and has a very good definition. If there is some flubby basses need to dial the amp better or maybe power tubes are getting old. To check!

My experience with Mesa recto cabs (2x12 and 4x12) is that they tend to have a bit less low-end, and are therefore really tight-sounding. I can compare to the widebody ported 1x12 with V30, a 4x10 and a Bogner oversize 2x12 (212C) with V30 and all of those have more low-end than the recto cabs, but they all sound a bit flubby by comparison, where the recto cabs are super tight. I just switched from my Bogner to my horizontal recto 2x12 with my band and the recto wins. The Bogner sounds too vague, the Mesa cab screams. I was even able to crank the bass on the amp and the Mesa cab was still tight.

elvis said:
... the recto cabs are super tight. I just switched from my Bogner to my horizontal recto 2x12 with my band and the recto wins. The Bogner sounds too vague, the Mesa cab screams. I was even able to crank the bass on the amp and the Mesa cab was still tight.
That's right! It stay super tight compare of all other cabs that I have (Bogner 4x12, Diezel 4x12, and Randal XXL 4x12).
Only one cab that I find tighter than Mesa Recto cab is DV Mark 4x12.

Not a Mark V 25/Rectoverb 25 but I run my regular Mini Recto through an over sized 4X12 straight cabinet with V30s. Not flabby at all. Tight, punchy and overall it sounds great.

Latest posts

Back