NGD! Electra Dyne & 2x12 Recto Cab I got over the weekend!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slysendice

Reaction score
Hi all! I just wanted to share my new amp that I am VERY excited about!

This Friday, I finally bought an Electra Dyne and a 2x12 Recto cabinet - the rig I've been dreaming of since YellowJacket talked me into it a couple of summers ago!

It was a long journey to find a store that still had one in stock but I did it, and I think it was 100% worth it!

I sold off my Marshall JCM800 for this. The Electra-Dyne absolutely slays the Marshall. My girlfriend (not a musician but willing to listen to me babble about gear) agrees, it sounds pretty much like my old Marshall, but with more of everything (more bass, more mids, more treble, more gain... etc) - and it also beats out the Dual Rectifier and the Orange Rockerverb!

I cannot believe these things got discontinued (it's just my luck though - everything I like gets discontinued). This is pretty much the best-sounding amp I have ever played on.

I'm just really excited, this is the rig I've been dreaming of for years and I finally have it!

To anyone who stuck it out until the end of this post, I thank you for putting up with my ramblings - I'm very tired and will probably be going to bed immediately after posting this.

Without further adieu, here's a pic:

0pzqy4hl.jpg

bandit2013 said:
Congrats on your NAD, was looking for a guitar centerfold here... okay there were a few poking out on the one side.

Nothing like a new Mesa to spend some quality time with.

Apologies for the confusion - I alwas assumed NGD stood for New Gear Day. I should have used the more specific NAD. I can show off my guitars if you'd like, though!

Welcome to the Electra Dyne club! You now own one of the best sounding amps ever made, and one of the most overlooked. If guitarists had actually tried an Electra Dyne, they'd have been flying off the shelves.

I agree, this amp is far too overlooked (also agree that it's pretty much the best sounding amp ever played).

And believe it or not, I said the same thing - If people had given it a shot, it really would have taken off.

I think the issue is this: Typical Mesa fans looked at it thinking, "pfft, it's not a Rec or a Mark, no thanks," and typical non-Mesa fans looked at it thinking "pfft, it's probably just another boomy, scooped Mesa," so nobody bothered with it.

Either way it's mine now, and I'll probably be buried with it. :mrgreen:

Congrats. It looks super clean so I am sure it was well cared for. Good luck and enjoy.

It's not in quite as good of shape as the pictures would indicate, there are a few knicks here and there, and looking at the tubes I can only imagine they've never been changed (this amp was on rental when I bought it) - but it's still in good shape (I'd give it 8 or 9/10)!

Hey, looks are overrated anyway, except of course in women! Lol

I'd love to try one of these... But I've never even seen one in a store.

Congrats on what I am sure is a KILLER amp!

I did find a used one at Sam Ash and played with it for a while. It was a 1x12 combo. It sounded good to me. After I was done, someone else was using it and it sounded much better. :p At the moment I still had my heart set on an RA100 head otherwise I would have taken the amp home. Enjoy your ED! NGD (New Gear Day, I did not thing of that 8) ).

The Ed comes alive with a good boost pedal. Get an Xotic BB Preamp, level all the way up on the pedal and keep the gain low and it's like another amp. I have 2 BB's, one for rhythm and 1 for lead.

Here's my 1x12 combo at very low volumes boosted with the BB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vxKxfJpwPM

Interestingly, the next thing on my shopping list is an overdrive pedal - I was thinking Fulltone OCD or Maxon OD808. Next after that is a clean boost - debating between the Xotic EP Booster and RC Booster!

I have a few od pedals. The amp's gain channels sound better than any of them. However, boosting is a different story. I've found thata plain ol' TS-9 with gain all the way down, level all the way up sounds best. It turns the Blue and Red channels into high gain monsters. Vintage Lo has more lows, is smoother and more vintage sounding. Vintage Hi has the lows tucked a little higher, and is pretty modern sounding. I'm gonna build another pedalboard for this amp. The only dirt pedals will be a TS - 9 for more gain and a clean boost for leads.

**interesting** So a TS9 style pedal is the way to go with the Electra Dyne for boosting? I really like the amp so any way of gaining even more flexibility out of it is very attractive!

What other pedals do you run with it?

I have a Fulltone Fulldrive II Mosfet that I used with my Deluxe Reverb Reissue and it was a perfect pedal to use with that amp. It sounds good in the clean channel of the Electra Dyne, but Vintage Lo sounds better.

I love the OCD as well. I've had V 1.2, 1.4 and now 1.7. The newest one is SUPER bright. I always used the HP mode on the others i had and with my Mini Rec it's too bright even with the tone control at 10:00. For an amp that's not bright, it could be great though, and everyone I've had (and I've played all the versions) is a great pedal.

But you loving the TS9 (which I also have but significantly upgraded by Mr. Robert Keeley, and I have BYOC versions which are as good or better but True Bypass) is why I recommended the Timmy. You can boost away but you can control how much bass and treble get through. Making it a more versatile (and higher fidelity) choice.

If you're loving what you got, of course stay with it. But when you get a chance, try a Timmy or the Xotic BB or whichever one others recommended in this forum, that has B/T controls as it just allows a lot more shaping. I also prefer my Barber Gain Changer over the TS9, and it has a different layout for it's tone control. I've discussed a "Super Gain Changer" several times with David, that would have B/T controls instead of the on control for both. But with it's 3 way mid switch, switch for two gain ranges, and BT control, it's a GREAT pedal as well.

Back