MesaTriple Rec, Engl Fireball, Powerball II Sound Samples

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2manygadgets

Reaction score
Hope this is helpful to others out there. I have always wanted to hear comparisons between these amps holding their settings the same, same cab etc. I own a Mesa Triple Rectifier and an Engl Powerball II. I have a buddy who's selling his Engl Fireball (first gen) and he let me borrow it to take it for a test drive.

I have two cabs, one is a Bogner 4X12 with Vintage 30's and a 2X12 with G12T-75's that I made out of 3/4" Birch Plywood.

I mic'd all three amps using the 2X12 first then the 4X12. Kept the settings on the amps the same when switching out the cabs. Not all of the settings are at noon mind you, today, I set them all to how I liked them on the 2X12 and left them the same when I moved over to the 4X12.

WARNING ***I am not a great guitar player*** I love to play, I just don't get to practice nearly enough.

I'm recording using an SM57 into a XLR to USB Mic converter I bought from Radio Shack.
I used a Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe II with a Gibson 500T Ceramic Magnet Humbucker in it.

Here's the list:
Fireball into 2X12
Powerball into 2X12
Triple Rec into 2X12
Fireball into 4X12
Powerball into 4X12
Triple Rec into 4X12

Again, just wanted to share these to give others a chance to hear the differences. Not trying to start any "X is better than Y" threads.
I like all three of these amps.
They are all great in their own way.

Thanks for sharing. I listed to them and was surprised that I liked the Engl Powerball most. Going in I would have guessed that I would have like the Mesa better. But, to me, the Powerball stood out better that either of the other two. Plus, it was a little fatter and I would venture to guess that it would not easily get lost in the mix.

Thanks again for sharing.
And thanks for reading.

Cool! Glad to hear you liked them. Did you like the Powerball better than the others through both cabs? Interestingly enough I like the Mesa best through the 4x12 and the Fireball the best through the 2x12.

I actually liked the Powerball better through both cabs. The Mesa came in second.

Latest posts

Back