Scored a Roadster for 850$!!??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrentSSL

Reaction score
So I have been on the hunt for a B rig recently I am a big mesa fan so i was looking at some 3 channels I know they are looser but if I am planning on using a non mesa cab or the stiletto to tighten it up a tad with maybe an 808 or something. On my search I found a Mesa roadster for 850 on the guitar center used site does anyone know why these have gone down in value they used togo for 1,600 used at the least. Or is this just a good amp thats falling through the cracks I bought it. Obviously have 30 days to return it let me know what you guys think.

BrentSSL said:
So I have been on the hunt for a B rig recently I am a big mesa fan so i was looking at some 3 channels I know they are looser but if I am planning on using a non mesa cab or the stiletto to tighten it up a tad with maybe an 808 or something. On my search I found a Mesa roadster for 850 on the guitar center used site does anyone know why these have gone down in value they used togo for 1,600 used at the least. Or is this just a good amp thats falling through the cracks I bought it. Obviously have 30 days to return it let me know what you guys think.

They have gone down in value, they are roughly going for about $1200 now on the used market, so yes you did get yourself a good deal, but not as great as you might have thought.

1 Month ago I got myself a brand new Mesa Roadster 2x12 combo for $999. Still with hang tags. Last week I got a like new Stiletto Ace 2x12 for $850. GC is no longer carying Mesa gear. As such they are blowing out their inventory. Most GC stores give you 60% of their anticipated resale price when you trade things in. You will also notice some stores sell the same used gear for different prices. Stores where country music rules won't sell a Recto as quickly.

Screamindv said:
1 Month ago I got myself a brand new Mesa Roadster 2x12 combo for $999. Still with hang tags. Last week I got a like new Stiletto Ace 2x12 for $850. GC is no longer carying Mesa gear. As such they are blowing out their inventory. Most GC stores give you 60% of their anticipated resale price when you trade things in. You will also notice some stores sell the same used gear for different prices. Stores where country music rules won't sell a Recto as quickly.

Which is a little weird since I have seen some modern country bands that play rectos or stilettos..... Good thing about GC, call your local store and then can usually have something shipped from another store for under 20 dollars if you are interested.

What do you think the resale of a Roadster will be 3 years down the road and the amp was sold to them by a gc employee don't know if that good or bad though

BrentSSL said:
What do you think the resale of a Roadster will be 3 years down the road and the amp was sold to them by a gc employee don't know if that good or bad though
The world of supply and demand won't be moved by one or two bad decisions from a guitar store.

ryjan can you tell me how you like the roadster and how does it compare to the mark 5 how is the distortion is it fizzy like the newer rectifiers??

BrentSSL said:

I think you got a great deal if the amp works. :wink:

BrentSSL said:
ryjan can you tell me how you like the roadster and how does it compare to the mark 5 how is the distortion is it fizzy like the newer rectifiers??
Mine is a 2010 model and I really like it.
The Roadster is a tad darker and has a more pronounced mid range than other amps in the Recto lineage. These characteristics make it smooth and with EL34's pretty tight as well. It feels and sounds like a Recto/MarkIV blend.

BrentSSL said:

I would say it is close to the bottom right now, around $1200 is where most the recto line sits after it has been out for awhile, of course if they ever make a roadster II then it will drop down to about $1000.

rjan are you bypassing the loop and do you think the el34 gives you that live metallica hotrod tone? I'm thinking of getting a different cab to help tighten the bottom end it either a mesa stiletto or maybe a Marshall of some Sort any other suggestions and how's it sound with passive pickups ? thanks so much

BrentSSL said:
rjan are you bypassing the loop and do you think the el34 gives you that live metallica hotrod tone? I'm thinking of getting a different cab to help tighten the bottom end it either a mesa stiletto or maybe a Marshall of some Sort any other suggestions and how's it sound with passive pickups ? thanks so much
I have my loop active. I have nothing in there but I like having the master volume and solo features.
The EL34's (Mesa brand) made a very positive difference to me in order to get a tighter Metallica-ish sound and feel. They added a bit more upper mid range and got rid of the low end "woof" that contributed to the mushy bottom end. The cleans are still wonderful and have a bit more jangle to them. Channel 3 in Vintage mode is spot on for Hetfield's live sound and channel 4 in Modern mode, being quite scooped, sounds really close to their studio sound. Especially the Black Album. 8) The cool part is that the Roadster sounds just like a Mark IV that's been quad tracked and eq'd for added girth. All by itself with no boost and nothing in the loop.
I mainly use active pups but the Roadster sounds great with passives too. Actives just give me the attack I like and are very quiet.
I was always a Mark amp guy and never cared much for Rectos until I got this amp in a sweet trade deal and now I'm hooked.

Ryjan thanks that puts my mind at ease what kind of cab or speakers do you think go well i've seen a few ideas for 100 watt celestions,on the net. I do plan on slowly switching back to EMGs if i want to keep the roadster instead of my Mark 5. ¡What mark series amps did you play before the roadster and what's your favorite live Metallica era? Mine is right before the St anger era like 98 they were soo on top of thier game then. Also sorry about my last post i was typing and thinking on my phone never finished a thought lol

BrentSSL said:
Ryjan thanks that puts my mind at ease what kind of cab or speakers do you think go well i've seen a few ideas for 100 watt celestions,on the net. I do plan on slowly switching back to EMGs if i want to keep the roadster instead of my Mark 5. ¡What mark series amps did you play before the roadster and what's your favorite live Metallica era? Mine is right before the St anger era like 98 they were soo on top of thier game then. Also sorry about my last post i was typing and thinking on my phone never finished a thought lol
Right now I have a Splawn 4x12 cab with Eminence Small Block speakers. It sounded more balanced and tighter than the Mesa Recto cab I tried. Before my Roadster I had a Triaxis/2:90, Mark IV, Axe-Fx, and a Splawn Nitro. I miss certain traits from all of them but the Roadster is a way better amp over all than any of the others I've had.
Metallica's live sound always seems to change. I don't really have a favorite. Just depends on my mood I guess. Lately how I have my amp dialed in kind of reminds me of the S&M era.

Sounds awsome man I told the guy that works on my gear today i moght be switching and he told me that the Mark V is the best amp they make I don't know about that tho lol

BrentSSL said:
Sounds awsome man I told the guy that works on my gear today i moght be switching and he told me that the Mark V is the best amp they make I don't know about that tho lol
Personal preference. Both are world class gigging and recording machines. It just depends on what flavor you like.

Back