How Improved are the Express Plus Cleans...Looking at a 550+

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gitaryzt1985

Reaction score
I had an original 525 1x12 combo. I liked it alot but ultimately sold it for the Mini Rec for more gain. Didnt care for the Mini rec cleans at all and went back to Fender.

I really have been getting interested in the Lonestar for its cleans, but I hear that the Plus models have the same circuitry as the Lonestar on the clean channel. Im interested in cleans mainly, but I do play quite a bit of metal with an HD500 currently.

Are the cleans on the Plus going to be the same as or close to the Lonestar? Seems like the Express is a no brainer for versatility, but Id still get the Lonestar if the tone is still much better than the Express.

So, 550+ or Lonestar?

I had a lone star classic. The cleans were gorgeous but it didn't have enough/right kind of gain for me. I now have a mark V and a new Express 525+. The express' clean is nowhere as good as the lonestar was, especially if you are using a Fender as your reference. That said, I don't know how the E550+ compares, with 6L6s, to the 525's EL84s for cleans. My guess is the Express series is targeted at a different goal and market and likely isn't quite on par with the Lonestar cleans, but the only way to know is to try one.

I never thought the 5:25 had anywhere near as nice cleans as the 5:50.

Babow2, how would you compare the Lonestar to the Bogner Goldfinger 45?

Wow, hmmmmm. Good question and it draws on my "aural memory" of the Lonestar. Let me start with my bias. To my ears, the two best clean tones I've heard from modern multichannel non-boutique amps, short of classic vintage Fender cleans, probably are the Lonestar and the Bogner Shiva. My opinion only, not looking to start a flame war. Again, I am not saying those are the best clean tones available, but for my need of multi-channel, mid market, manufactured products, I loved both those cleans.

I'd say the GF45 clean is more like the Shiva's than the Express' is like the Lonestar. How's that for a vague, non answer? Overall, I'd say the GF45 has better tones than the Express. It is richer, more complex, more "professional". I'd have to say the 6v6 GF45 is kind of like a mini-Shiva. I really dig it. I actually traded a Royal Atlantic for it and haven't regretted that trade, although I loved the RA. (side note-I think the RA's clean tones were more Lonestar ish than Express and damned good, as good as the GF. It is a beast of a head, but worth considering if you want a Lonestar type clean.)

I think the GF's cleans are a little rounder, richer, chewier than the Express. So, if I were voting on great cleans, I'd give the nod to the GF over the Express. I think the GF's gain tones are more Marshall thick, while the Mesa Express' are a little more modern, cutting, edgier. So, if you play more metal or tighter more aggressive gain, I'd go with the Express. Of course, the Express has two modes per channel, plus the EQ options, so it has more flexibility and available variations and options. So, if you like a wider palette of tones from one amp, the Express is more versatile. On the pure core tones, I'd nod to the GF. When you weigh in flexibility and options and versatility, the Express has more of all that. What you do with that info, I have no idea?

I wanted the more Marshall vibe in the GF as a complement to my Mark V. The Express is my small, grab and go amp or tiny gig amp. So, I had reasons for each.

Frankly, if you are considering something in the GF price range, and want great cleans, more high gain and versatility, I'd take the Mark V over the Express every day of the week. I call the Express "the mini Mark V"- it is less of everything the mark V is, but with a lot of the versatility.... (yes, I realize the power tube sections are completely different, but to me, the E525 is like a scaled down MV light amp. I suspect the E550 is even closer with the 6L6 tubes instead of EL84s). If the price and weight are in your range, that's THE amp in my opinion. If you are at a lower budget and like the light, grab n go- the Express is a really great little amp.

Sheesh, I have no idea if I helped at all, or even answered your question. Again, I am not issuing any kind of royal decree or looking to start a flame war over these amps. Just offering my opinion.

Good luck,
Brent

Hi, newbie here but long time Boogie fan from Australia. I have owned 6 different models including a Lonestar special 212, nomad head, Transatlantic 15 head, 5:25 head, MKIV combo and I just purchased a 5:50+ combo and the cleans are very sweet. It was about 7 years ago when I had my Lonestar so I can't really compare cleans but I reckon the cleans are as good as any I have come across on any Boogie.

Nice tops but not as bright as a Fender and more rounded on the bottom end. I am not sure the C90 was the right speaker for this amp and am considering a couple of other options to tighten up the bottom end on the overdrive channel which lacks a bit of focus in my humble opinion.

Its still early days though so I will give it a few gigs before I decide.

Babow2, thanks for your opinions. That was very interesting to read how you felt about these amps. I'm a huge Boogie fan, but I also dig the Bogner amps. The Goldfinger looks great to me on paper, but I haveyet to be able to play one for myself. Right now I'm very happy with my Electra Dyne, but I love amplifiers and love to read reviews and watch videos and stuff.

Back