Would you choose two 2x12 or one 4x12 for a two-head rig?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBear

Reaction score
Hey all!

Would you see any sonic or convenience advantages or disadvantages in running two heads into one Mesa Standard 4x12 versus two Mesa Rectifier 2x12s?

Backstory and Disclaimer:
I got it in my head one day that I'm tired of OD and Distortion pedals, so I started down the road to building a two-amp, ABY rig. For clean and pushed/slightly dirty tones I'm using a Mesa Heartbreaker and for rhythm overdrive and lead/harder tones I'm using a Revision F Dual Rec (with a Weber MASS 150 to tame the volume). ABY switching is done ia a Radial JX-2 Switchbone.

I did search lots of threads on this forum and others, but would like some current opinions on my particular rig.

Thank you all for your suggestions!

I would use two 2x12's or 2 4x12's personally and set each amp to augment the other and run them at same time. Since you are using a switching configuration, I would still use the 2-2x12's only because I am the living example of Murphy's Law. If something can go wrong it will with me. I would be worried if using only one cabinet would take a dump when I needed it most, where if you had two, and one took a dump, you still have a spare. Plus 2x12's are lighter to get on and off a stage and I am getting tired of lifting a 4x12 up and down stage stairs or from the floor up 4 feet onto the stage by myself. Only two venues around here have ramps on one side of the stage, the rest make you play He-Man.

I would definitely go with 2 2x12's. They are lighter for one, a Mesa 4x12 is f'n heavy! Also, the main reason for me, is that you can separate them. You could maybe have one on each side of the stage and run stereo effects through them. You'd just simply have more options with the 2 2x12's.

It depends on your situation but me personaly I would two 4x12's over your two choices but if I had to choose between yours I would do the 4x12

Latest posts

Back