Nomad Switching Questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monsta-Tone

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
Hey!

Lately I've been playing my Roadking Series 1 combo a lot.
I have it souped up and sounding incredible.
It weighs over 100 pounds though, and moving it by myself is getting old really fast!

I've been thinking about picking up a Nomad 55 combo (or a 100 1x12 combo if I can find one) to use as my main amp instead.
I use "Vintage" mode on my RK the most. It is pretty rare that I will use Modern.

I have some questions though since I can't just go and try one out......

1. Does the channel switching on the Nomad have any delay, pops, drop outs, etc.?

2. Is anyone here using a midi switcher with their Nomad? I primarily use the Voodoo Lab Control Switcher.

3. Does the Nomad have enough gain on channel 3 to get me into Recto red channel Vintage mode with the gain maxed out territory?

4. Does the Nomad have more gain than a DC-5? I have a very souped up DC-3, but just can't seem to get what I want out of it, which is super heavy lower mid range crunch. The DC has this high mid thing that I still can't dial out.

I'm looking for serious cathode follower lower mid range crunch with gobs of sustain. Can the Nomad handle it?

Please do not suggest the Mark V. I had one for a week, that should say enough about my thoughts on the V.......

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The only question that I can answer is your first question. I have a Nomad 45, and there is no pop, delay, drop, noise - no issues at all when I swap channels.

Sorry about the other questions. I don't use midi, and I have never played through either a Recto or a DC-5.

Thanks! That is a good start!
I can mod just about anything, but for the life of me, I can't figure out how to get rid of popping and drop outs when switching channels on some amps......

I don't post here that often, but thought I could help you with some of these questions. I currently own a Nomad 100 1-12" combo, DC-5 version B, Multiwatt Dual Rect and an Electradyne combo.

Monsta-Tone said:
1. Does the channel switching on the Nomad have any delay, pops, drop outs, etc.?
No delay, pops or dropouts on my Nomad 100. I could not deal with an amp that had these issues. When playing live, I need quick and seamless channel switching.

Monsta-Tone said:
2. Is anyone here using a midi switcher with their Nomad? I primarily use the Voodoo Lab Control Switcher.
I use an old Axcess Electronics unit (I think the model is CFX-4). Works great at accepting midi commands and channel switching my Nomad. Integrates with my midi rack gear without issue.

Monsta-Tone said:
3. Does the Nomad have enough gain on channel 3 to get me into Recto red channel Vintage mode with the gain maxed out territory?
My Nomad has enough gain on channel 3 to easily get into Vintage mode Rectifier territory. I put the gain at about 6 and it's perfect. Plenty of gain on the Nomad. The main thing is that it's smoother than a Recto. More like a Mark Series.

Monsta-Tone said:
4. Does the Nomad have more gain than a DC-5? I have a very souped up DC-3, but just can't seem to get what I want out of it, which is super heavy lower mid range crunch. The DC has this high mid thing that I still can't dial out.
My Nomad 100 has noticeably more gain than my DC-5. I would say the DC gain at 7 is like the Nomad at 4.
I prefer my Nomad to my DC. Granted, the 100 watt output section of the Nomad makes it sound bigger, but I also like the extra features as well.
The main thing about the Nomad, and I have said this in other posts, is that it really needs the graphic eq (which only the 100 has). The Nomads are so mid sounding, you need to scoop the mids to get the amp back to where it should be in the first place.

Good Luck

Right on, thanks!
I just traded my Roadking off. I really liked it, but the combo weighed over 100 pounds and putting it in the truck by myself was a mother.
Part of the trade was my old Rectoverb 2 combo, which still weighs 70 pounds but at least I can lift it with one hand. It has the dreaded channel switching cut out or delay. Not as bad as my old F-50, but still definitely there. Other than that, I like it but I'm used to having a few more options.......
Guess the GAS is always greener..... :lol:

I've got a line on a Nomad 55 combo here on Maui that I would like to pick up. I can always use the EQ on my processor or mod the tone of the amp a little to tame the mids.

Back