NAD - DC-3 combo and Thiele cab!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don

Reaction score
Yesterday I bought a DC-3 and Thiele cab. They were cheap because the amp is in need of repair- it had no reverb, the reverb controls acted as gain controls, it was feeding back and making funny noises, the 80hz slider does nothing and the lead channel hisses loudly when you crank the gain.
Otherwise, the amp sounded great :lol:

I pulled up the manual and schematic and flipped the amp over to change the reverb driver/return tube and realized that the reverb cables had been reversed! I swapped them and the reverb is fine. It also solved the feedback and funny noises.

I feel kinda guilty. If I had known that was all that was wrong with the reverb I would've swapped the cables and been on my way.

In any case, there are still the other two issues to deal with.

With the Thiele cab it has a sweet clean sound and a HUGE lead sound! I didn't plan to keep the amp. I wanted the Thiele cab to use with my Studio .22+ but this is a better sounding, more versatile and easier to use amp than the Studio.

It's also heavier which might be a deal breaker for me- I have back and wrist issues.

A pic!
photo%7E1.JPG

Nice purchase! That cab looks great with the combo, which is bad for me because now I want to get one for my DC-5. :lol:

I do one of my weekly gigs with a DC-5. Carry the **** thing up 1 1/2 flights of stairs. I thought it was too heavy until I brought my Mark IV to the same gig. :roll: Now, the DC comes to stair gigs and the Mark to ground level gigs... :lol:

The extension cab is great for clean playing too. It'd be a great jazz setup.

The Studio .22+ is light. I haven't compared them but it might not be any heavier than the Thiele cab.

I was wrong- the Studio is way lighter than the Thiele cab. The Studio weighs 36 pounds, the Thiele cab is 42 pounds (the EVM12L weighs a freakin' ton) and the DC-3 weighs 45 pounds. Really not bad, considering the sound they put out.

Just got the footswitch from the seller. What an awesome sounding amp! I bet it'll sound even better when I get that 80Hz slider working.

Back