?? for EL34 fans

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam

Reaction score
I'm thinking about using some different EL34s in my Road King and want to know what brands/models you guys have had success with so far, specifically in Recto models.

I've got a pair of Groove Tubes EL34 R (russian) in right now but I find them a little lacking in dynamics. and top-end.

Recommendations?

Hey Adam, welcome to this side!!

I'm running EH EL-34's, which from what I'm told are patterned after old Mullards. By themselves, they sounded about like your impression of the GT's. But with Yellowjackets (EL-84's), they sound fantastic!

I'm going to do a little more experimentation when it's time to retube - which should be soon. Please keep me posted on your findings.

redmax61 said:
Hey Adam, welcome to this side!!

I'm running EH EL-34's, which from what I'm told are patterned after old Mullards. By themselves, they sounded about like your impression of the GT's. But with Yellowjackets (EL-84's), they sound fantastic!

I'm going to do a little more experimentation when it's time to retube - which should be soon. Please keep me posted on your findings.

Hey Robin, thanks for the welcome! :)

I'm thinking about dropping in a matched pair of JJ's EL34s that I've had laying around (briefly used in a 60-watt Marshall). I remember an increase in warmth and drive from the stock Sovteks in the Marshall, but I've been hesitant to try them in place of the GTs in my RK.

The tone with the GTs can only be described as flat and brittle. I'm not too thrilled with them. I'll try the JJs and see if there's a big diff. Either way I'll post my findings in this thread.

Ok, I spent most of the day over at the practice space (watching a DVD bootleg of the new Star Wars) but I was able to make a direct comparison of the GTs and JJs in my Road King.

For the record, the specific tube types are GT EL34 R versus the blue glass JJ EL34.

The difference was very apparent between tubes - much more than I even expected. I found the JJs to be superior in the amp for my applications in almost every way to the GTs. The JJs have a greatly increased frequency range over the GTs - the lows are deeper and fuller, the highs are higher, and the mids are more spaced-out and much smoother-sounding.

The JJs also seem to break up much later than the GTs did, which I didn't consider 100% favorable in channel 2 of the amp (which I have set-up using just the two EL34s for a Marshall-type Angus crunch) at first, but after increasing the channel volume and highs I was able to bring the crunch mostly back with the added benefit of dramatically increased boldness. Even still, the channels using the EL34 tubes sounded much smoother and fuller than they did before.

Even when pushed hard, the JJs are decidedly less "edgy" than the GTs were - for me, this was a bonus, but for some it may not be quite right depending on what their applications are. The deeper and rounder low-end is seriously good for me, though. Especially in Channel 4 when paired with four 6L6s (GT6L6GE's and GT6L6S's respectively). When the GTEL34's would distort, the low-end and low-mids would break up first and lose a lot of focus and definition (flubby, almost blown-speaker-ish sounding). The JJs remained solid in the low-end even when massively overdriven and beefed up the low and low-mid thump/guts/growl/whatever you want to call it so much that I "tested" them for the better part of two hours before even switching channels again.

So in short, the JJs were a success for me. I'll be leaving them in for a while.

I have had good luck out of JJ's.

My recent purchase of SED Winged C EL34's has proven bad. I purchased a Quad of em to go in my Lonestar and one of em was bad right out of the box (microphonic). It is being replaced with another matched quad but this dissapointed me.

I did buy a spare quad of em so I'm gonna stick those in tonight and cross my fingers. Then I'll be waitning on my replacement set to come in.

I'm currently counting my pennies up for a Quad of NOS Mullard XF2's for that amp but it may be awhile. At $237.50 each its hard to live with though.

I just retubed the hole amp with NOS Mullard ECC83's which made a drastic difference and put in a NOS RCA rectifier tube. I cant begin to describe the difference the preamp tubes made. The cleans are cleaner and the dirtys are dirtier. Very smooth and creamy when I'm going for a high gain solo and very powerfull when played clean. I dont quite understand this but thats what it is.

Nomad said:
Also you might want to try as set of NOS 7581's for definition.

I have to admit I haven't really experimented with different tube types in the same amp, outside of different manufacturers and resellers. When the little letters on the chassis under the socket says "EL34" that's always been what I put in there. :)

Using a different tube type on a Mesa would require a rebias or socket mod, would it not?

Nomad said:
The 7581 is a 6L6 THAT IS SUPER DUTY AND LASTS A LONG TIME.

Oh, sorry. You mean using the 7581's in place of the GT 6L6s I have in there now.

Do they have any other major tonal characteristics other than "clarity?"

Bigger bottom end thump. Very warm and Fender Blackface sounding. 100,000 hour life span. Heavey duty construction millitary grade vacuum tube. Crystaline clean with no breakup.

Nomad said:
Bigger bottom end thump. Very warm and Fender Blackface sounding. 100,000 hour life span. Heavey duty construction millitary grade vacuum tube. Crystaline clean with no breakup.

Can you point me to a good place online to order these?

Latest posts

Back