which od/distortio pedal do you run in front of your Boogie?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elpingua

Reaction score
This thread is just for fun/info. Not looking to start a pedal war.

Simply state what pedal you are running as either OD or additional gain in front of what Boogie amp. Also state what this combo produces (creaminess/saturation etc..)and what you like about it.

Again no fights just add what you use and why you use it. Thanks!

Well, none.

The Mesa amp sent my old tube screamer to the back of the shelf.

Nowadays I play pretty clean. I use the Blue Angel or Maverick set to just break up a little. Sold the DC-3 and Nomad years ago.

Nothing. I have a stack of dirt pedals sitting in the basement now, and you can't really beat the tones you get out of the triaxis. Always been a fan of amp distortion, and as long as you've got access to at least four channels, never had a need for more.

Having said that, the ts-9 is a delicious addition if you're going to use something.

First I'm a big fan of compression and usually have one on all the time (unless I'm looking for a tone that is compression free) in front of every thing else, which for years has been guitar, compressor, amp ( compressor has been a Boss pro CL 50 half rack unit for years until I recently went with Origin Effects stuff). I have no time based or modulation pedals, all that comes from rack pieces in the loop of after the center channel amp in a wet/dry/wet set up.In the past few years I've start in on collecting pedals again. I've had a V-twin pedal almost since the first came out and can say unequivocally that's only pedal that I have that doesn't work for me in front of a Boogie, It get's used mostly with my Fender amps. All the Boggie amps I own (see below) work well with a KOT from Analogman and I'll all so stick a Beano Boost in front of my TA15, on all the time, into the Top Boost channel. Both of the Hermida Zen Drives really add a bit of Smooth to the TA 15, I like them especially on the Tweed Mode. Set Up A good Fender type clean tone on Any of them, I like setting up a Clean edge of break up on the Recto mod Channel on the Triaxis, and the Ethos Overdrive can do it's thing like a charm, Love me some Carlton/Ford kinda tones. I have Set up a great pushed quasi clean blues tone by pushing a BK Buttler Tube driver with the KOT, into the Blended Channels in parallel on the V-Twin RM 20/20 combo that cleans up by backing off the Guitar volume and varying pick attack, And Lastly I love the tones from my both Tiki Drive and Nu-Valve (Hermida) into The Recto mod channel of the Triaxis, the hi gain channel of my V-Twin Rack unit or the Hi Gain channel 1 on the TA. I Can get some real Aggressive Marshall kind of sounds with these two, bite, snap and articulate. All of the wide variety of tones Boogie amps can deliver can be upped a notch with just a littlr more gain hitting the front end.

I have used various OD/dist pedals on my board but I have finally settled on these three instead of incessantly swapping pedals in an out. (Note that I'm using the same board with different Marks and Rectos so it's a bit like survival of the fittest...the pedals that are the most useful with all my amps get to remain. These three made it.)

Visual Sound Route 66: Separate compressor (Dynacomp style) and a TS808 clone in a single box. For a couple of years my pedalboard was nothing but this pedal and a delay. Nowadays, I don't use the compressor side that much anymore - my Mesas have more than enough compression for my needs and playing style - but the OD is great and very useful with pretty much every amp I have. On my EL34-equipped Mark V, I use the Edge and Crunch modes (very modest preamp gain) + the OD to emulate 'overdriven Marshall' style sounds. On my Rev G Dual, I can tighten up the gain structure with this pedal. And so on. The only exception is my Rev C Recto which already sounds like it has an OD always on - don't need more of that from a pedal. :lol:

Bogner Ecstacy Blue: I originally bought this to emulate Plexi style semi-clean sounds on my Rectos. However, I have recently learned to dial in even better semi-clean tones on the Rev C without this pedal, so I'm using this less than I used to. It's still versatile enough to defend its place on my board, almost like four or five different Marshall pedals in one, with all those switches and options. It can easily take you from a fat Plexi-like semi-clean to overdriven JCM800 distortion and beyond. It's essentially like an extra channel I set up to give me whatever Marshall-style sound I find the most useful addition to the amp I'm currently using.

Wampler Triple Wreck: Simply put, I bought this to add a Recto-style 'channel' to my Mark amps. Properly dialed in, it does that pretty well. But it can do lots of other sounds also - it's almost impossible to dial in a bad sound from this pedal (unlike some other Wamplers that took some serious tweaking before they started sounding good). I've also learned to use this pedal to produce very nice fuzz tones for my solos.

Maxon od808, od9pro+, MXR6-bandEQ
(only one of these at a time, depending which guitar/pickups/amp/cab/desired-tone ect....)

Xotic BB in front of my Electra Dyne. I get more gain/saturation in the Vintage Lo mode and an awesome blues tone in the clean mode. I rarely use the Vintage Hi mode at all.

None at all! I've always gone with the rectifier heads (Roadster currently) because I love their OD/Distortion so much without having to add anything. To each his own though.

Having 4 channels on the Roadster lets you set up various levels of gain and pretty much eliminate the need to have different pedals to do that job. Very convenient and sounds awesome!

OCD and Mesa Flux Drive

Rarely use them. OCD is front of my Dyne. Flux when I am running A/B with Dyne and Terror.

Those two amps sound amazing BTW..

I kicked a butt load off my board when I got the Mark V. I only use two now - a Green Rhino (TS) with the volume maxed and gain off to make the Crunch mode warm and full and to make the Mk IV mode have that compressed liquid legato lead tone. I use reg or high mids boost on a Suhr Koko boost to get a really grinding Crunch mode or a really bright and dirty MK IIC+ lead tone.

I use a Flux Drive in front of my Blue Angel. It covers all of the bases except for modern metal. Dial it down for a little dirt or dial it up for classic metal; great classic rock and blues tones in between.

And when I want some Smashing Pumpkins tone, I'll bring out the Big Muff.

Although I don't really need to use it, I run a Boss DS-1 in front of my Rocket 44 -- it works great with all three modes. Adds bluesy grit to the clean and piles on the compression and liquid sustain with the two dirt sounds. I haven't found another distortion pedal that works with this amp and I have a huge pile of dirt boxes.

For extra gain/sustain with my maverick, I step on a Jetter gain stage red. I also have a big muff (pedal... :)) which I don't use often, but it's nice to have for a totally different timbre.

I prefer just the amp, but in practice I tend to play across a lot of styles, so I generally set the input gain lower than I would prefer and use drive pedals to make up the difference when necessary. I chose drive pedals that also work well in turning clean channels/modes into bluesy modes.

Maxon OD808 - just love this pedal. I set it for just a bit pf drive and a bit of volume boost, with tone just a bit to the left of 12:00. Lovely transparent bluesy tone and hits the preamp nicely when in lead modes. Also gives a bit of mid boost for cut. Couldn't be happier with it.

Xotic BB Preamp - set for moderate drive and a little high cut. This one turns every amp into a Mark lead tone. Nice and fluid with great harmonics and feedback.

I get a great result with both of these individually as well as cascaded.

My latest addition is the TC Spark mini boost. Nice bright boost. Probably this is a better alternative for people who are using an OD808 set clean with max volume to boost their amps.

I'm using a MXR GT-OD overdrive. Amazing and really transparent overdrive. Previosly a Fulltone OCD and later an Ibanez TS9DX Keeley modified pedal

elpingua said:
This thread is just for fun/info. Not looking to start a pedal war.

Simply state what pedal you are running as either OD or additional gain in front of what Boogie amp. Also state what this combo produces (creaminess/saturation etc..)and what you like about it.

Again no fights just add what you use and why you use it. Thanks!

I use the Xotic BB, Bogner Red, Maxon OD-808, Fulltone OCD, MXR Modified OD, Sonic Edge J&J OD, and Way Huge Green Rhino. All Sound great!

I've used a Boss DS-1 in front of my Rocket 44 for a couple of years. It works in front all three channels. It's gritty/Bluesy on the clean and on the dirty channels it mainly just ups the sustain and compression levels. I don't really need it, especially on the high gain Contour mode; but sometimes it's nice having a bit extra available.

I've tried a few OD/Clean Boost pedals with my Roadster and always end up back to an older TS9 modded to be an 808.
I set the gain to around 9:00, level 2-3:00, tone 12:00 and it adds sizzle to Modern mode rhythms, and sustain and punch to Vintage mode leads.

Dom

Back