The new King Snake Combo

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ampguy

Reaction score
The new King Snake Combo is incredible. I am very glad to have purchased one before they were sold out. This is a fantastic amp that rivals my Mark IIC+. I'm not sure at this point, which amp I like better.

My King Snake sits on and drives a Boogie 1x12 OB cab loaded with an original Altec Lansing 417-8H. It simply sounds amazing. Recently, I realized that a cooling fan cools the 6L6 tubes, which is not mentioned in the manual. Plus, it has a 5 year transferable warranty - you can't beat that. I highly recommend obtaining the reverb on/off pedal. It is very useful with some settings.

IMHO, the King Snake will achieve the same status (in a few years) as the Mark IIC+ and therefore, you should snag one while you can.

Last Saturday, I saw Carlos play in Atlanta. He used his original amp that the King Snake is modeled after. It was sitting on (2) Paul Reed Smith Paisley 4x12 cabinets. Great sound, great concert.

Hey Ampguy, congrats on the Snake,...I bought one,.and loved it because of its simplicity (6 knobs) and though it could get any sound I want,...and I even found great compromises where simply unplugging from input 1 and going into in 2,...worked!!!....so, not heeding the Mesa warning I bought an AB box only to find out that BOTH channels get loaded down when plugged in at the same time,...that was a bummer. But what made it clear that I couldn't use the amp for gigging,...whenever I got it dialed in sounding killer for my Les Pauls....I'd plug a strat in and have to completely zero the amp out and redial it in......

I'd get it dialed sounding killer for the strat,..and the paul would then sound awful...I grew up playing Mark amps, that is why I really love the tone and no nonsense approach of the amp,..and it does sound fantastic. Though,...I'm 100% certain the amp was voiced and R&D'd around humbucker gtrs....as were old marks.....(stands to reason,.. given what Carlos plays)

A friend loaned me his lonestar classic,..and it was obvious to me to send the Snake packing. All this to say,...my only gripe with the snake is that I can't deal with the cash and carry,...I would need at least 2 to do gigs with.

btw,...I think the Fillmore speaker is KILLER!!!! I'll probably be kicking myself for returning the amp in a couple years......same as I do for selling my 2C+....
oh well.
enjoy the sweet amp!

PMcC

Re: PMcC comments

Yes, the Fillmore Speaker is great! I also found that when you use an AB pedal, if set to both channels, it does not work. I had no problem with A or B, especially when a Tone Burst pedal was added to A. I've not had an issue with pickups, especially guitars (PRS) that are both SC and Humbucker. If I need to change the tone a bit, I reach around and turn the Mid up or down. Also, the volume knob on my guitar is very useful to dial up a grittier sound, if needed. (Interestingly, Carlos never touched his amp when I saw him recently, it was always set the same).

I considered, and still am considering another KS, as a mate to mine. I could have purchased the amp that was made before mine in line, when I bought mine. I'll probably regret this mistake.

If you haven't let yours go yet, give it another month, before you do. I think that you will have a change of heart.

Thanks,..I guess my point was.

Carlos never changes guitars,..and uses the same tone all night, of course varying his volume knob for different textures. But that just wouldn't work for me.

I'll probably regret sending it back, but it's a lot of money for what it is.

Yes, Carlos is a one guitar kind of guy. Other than an acoustic, he played the same flamey orange PRS Santana model all night.

I have never played a Mark 1, but it seems like the King Snake is like a Mark 1 with more sounds, using inputs 1 and 2. I'd like to try it with the new Boogie EQ Pedal, which I was told is very quiet for an EQ pedal.

I am now using the new Five Band EQ Pedal from Mesa in the effects loop of the King Snake. It is definitely additive and is allowing me to shape the tone a bit more. I just can not say enough about the King Snake, I like it better every day that I use it.

Back