Important Maintenance Notice for all post-y2k Amplifiers

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elvis

Reaction score
I was too lazy to do a search on this to see if it's been covered, so I will just post it.

Short version for the attention-span impaired:
Have your amplifier checked every few years for SOLDER WHISKERS (or "tin whiskers"). These may grow over time and short across terminals in your amplifier and cause damage and possibly be a reliability or safety hazard.

pics/details: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whisker_%28metallurgy%29

IMPORTANT NOTE: This takes a LONG time. Your 5-year-old amp is not having problems because of whiskers. Your amp may have whisker problems in the year 2025.

Full story:
There is a metallurgical effect in solder joints that causes many long "whiskers" to form over long periods of use. Most products are affected, but very few actually remain in service for long enough to have problems, as it is a quite slow process. Over decades, these whiskers may be 1cm or more in length, long enough to short across components or to short one component to another. Vacuum tube amplifiers are routinely used for long periods of time, so guitar amps are one of the few places I would expect to see them.

Historically, lead (Pb) was added to tin solder as a way to stop whiskers, in much the same way as it was added to plastic garden hoses as a way to improve stability over time. It worked quite well. Unfortunately, manufacturers are no longer allowed to use lead due to health and environmental concerns. There is a real concern in the electronics industry that the use of lead-free solder will cause a new generation of reliability problems. Manufacturers are at the mercy of government standards such as ROHS, so they have no choice but to comply. Other non-Pb materials may be added to solder to mitigate the effect, but these are expensive and rare.

While problems are unlikely, it is certainly possible that poor reliability, severe damage, and even exposure to dangerous voltages or fires, may result from whisker growth. Depending on usage, a simple visual inspection every few years would be a very good idea. Repair would involve cleaning and resoldering the problem areas.

If you're not getting whiskers, you're not playing often enough :twisted:

I've heard about this type of thing in computers and microchips. I think the boards on amps are more spread out where the whiskers won't be as much of an issue as they are on a microchip where they pack a ton of stuff on such a small surface area...but i'm not an engineer.

Look inside any of the later PCB-based amps. Pretty tight, especially inside the lunchboxes. And much more chance of arcing, as there is much higher voltage than in a computer, where 12V is the highest supply, and most of the board is 3V or less.

Also, you will junk your computer, phone, etc. within 5 years or so.

Not sure what is wrong with this topic, ryjan. Care to elaborate?

I don't think there is anything wrong with the topic as much as it is being presented as a
"Service Bulliten".

I understand the concern, but IMO to recommend that you have your amp routinely checked is a little absurd.

I've got a great tech, besides myself (or Mesa) he is the only one I trust with a soldering iron inside my amps, but I can just imagine the look I would get from him when I ask him to completely disassemble my amp to check for "solder whiskers".

I can just imagine the bill for that!

Dom

Why completely disassemble? Just pull the chassis and inspect every few years.

Note that this was more for the folks who NEVER take amps for service (i.e. that majority of owners). I have played a few times with a guy who has run his Fender Twin regularly for 25 years with no service or tube changes.

If your going to inspect the solder joints on PCB's you'll need to pull the boards to see the majority of them on the back side.

What's the sense if your just going to glance over the component side of the board?

Dom

I would guess that they would show up to a greater or lesser degree on both sides. If no sign of them on the component side, maybe don't bother to disassemble. If there are whiskers on the comp side, you'll want to disassemble and rework.

If you don't want to do it, fair enough. This was intended to be informational. Nobody knows what will happen with the new Pb-free boards, but I strongly believe that vigilance is warranted. And for something that you may do twice a decade, I doubt a serious financial hardship.

Don't you mean pre-Y2K amps. (amps made before 2000?)

The OP says post-Y2K, which means basically newer amps.

Surely a misprint?

Unleaded solder causes whiskers.
Unleaded solder is a RECENT addition to our wonderful world.
Whiskers, therefore, are a RECENT problem.

re·cent
?r?s?nt/
(adjective)
1. having happened, begun, or been done not long ago or not long before; belonging to a past period of time comparatively close to the present.

MrMarkIII said:

re·cent
?r?s?nt/
(adjective)
1. having happened, begun, or been done not long ago or not long before; belonging to a past period of time comparatively close to the present.

Actually the OP says it happens over decades, so I'm still not seeing much issue with post-y2k amps, at least not for many more years.
Am I missing something?

If they only recently started using this new solder, then why is anyone worried about it right now, if it takes decades to cause problems?

From Wiki:

"On July 1, 2006 the European Union Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment Directive (WEEE) and Restriction of Hazardous Substances Directive (RoHS) came into effect prohibiting the inclusion of significant quantities of lead in most consumer electronics produced in the EU."

Most of the world would have followed around this time or within two years.

14 years (or at least 12) have passed.

Toyota's 'unintended acceleration' saga in the US may have been caused by Tin Whiskers in the control unit of the accelerator pedal. I can't recall what year the vehicle are. Even if the vehicles aren't that old, certain environments may (I'm guessing) affect the growth rate of these whiskers.

Whichever way, best to spend several hours inspecting an amp after 10 years. What's that going to cost you? A bit of time. Better than blowing an amp and rendering it useless. If it happens to your amp, it'll happen to the next amp.... so what are you going to do if your amp fries? Repair? Buy new? May not be made anymore. Buy second? Same issue (or more issues).

I'd strip amp, use a vacuum with a brush attachment (or a soft toothbrush) and give the PCB's a good run over for several minutes per side. The brush would break the whiskers and be sucked to oblivion. Use a compressor after that to blow what's left.

Blaklynx said:
...On July 1, 2006...14 years (or at least 12) have passed...

Help me understand your math. This is 2014, which is just about 8 years since the implementation of RoHS compliant solder.

Yeah, I'm not worried about any "whiskers" forming on any of my electronics. :wink:

shimmilou said:
Blaklynx said:
...On July 1, 2006...14 years (or at least 12) have passed...

Help me understand your math. This is 2014, which is just about 8 years since the implementation of RoHS compliant solder.

Yeah, I'm not worried about any "whiskers" forming on any of my electronics. :wink:

:oops: :oops: You're right. 8yrs. I'm glad someone is on the ball.

MrMarkIII said:

re·cent
?r?s?nt/
(adjective)

Thanks jerk! :lol:

Back