Road King.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaun

Reaction score
Hello.
So, you may remember me from a few months ago when I decided to get a road king.
Well...
I did! Got it just a few days ago.
I love it so far. And have found some great tones on it.
So. Some questions I have.
A) what exactly is that "Recto tone"?
I have my ch 3 on vintage and have dialed in a good heavy lead sound. But it doesn't seem super heavy and angry and recto-y. It just sounds like...Good metal distortion to me.
Also. I recall hearing Alot about how rectos NEED a boost in front to tighten up the huge uncontrollable bass. I was planning on getting a tube screamer type pedal to be able to do so..but..I don't feel like I need it. Maybe I have it dialed wrong? Haha? I think it sounds good. But there isn't a huge wall of low end that hinders lead tone. So I'm not sure. I am happy with it though.
Any road king users have some tips/settings?
Thanks.

I have ch 4 on modern. Got a good chugging metal rhythm tone. Sounds kinda like my ch3 but darker and bassier. But fuller also. Not sure.
I'll have to do some more tweaking later.

Turn the volume up. 8)
That's where the recto Beast lives

I never use a boost in front of my Roadster either. If you are afraid of the strings and pick like a 7 year old girl then I guess you'd see where a boost is beneficial.
(cue the "boosts offer different textures" crowd) :lol:

Try using modern mode on channel 3 and vintage on 4. Also check out:

http://grailtone.com/tone-settings/mesa-boogie/view-recto-settings.html

Channel 3 and 4 didn't change between RK1 and RK2 (or so I have been told)

So. I've done some more tweaking.
(With the volume up a little.)
And I love the huge rhythm sound I'm getting on ch4.
I definitely feel the recto vibe on that. It's awesome. Now I'm searching for a lead tone. I've got it decent sounding but I certainly hear that "Recto fizz". Trying to smooth it out while retaining the attack and gain.
Any tips?

Use channel 3 for a traditional lead tone. It is a bit darker and chewier especially on vintage mode. Recto tracking will also soften the attack a bit and give it a feel of higher saturation even with lower gain settings.
In any case just fiddle with it for a few days and you'll get a better feel for what does what. Have fun! :mrgreen:

A TS-9 really does wonders for a Recto. It helps lower some of the bass while tightening everything up. To me it makes a huge difference.

So.
I did just notice this.
On ch 4. Especially on modern, the presence knob makes no difference (not as in, "not much of a change," but literally NO change in sound) until it's all the way cranked...is this normal? Or do I need to fix the pot?...

Latest posts

Back