NGD Mesa Tremoverb combo

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bzavala87

Reaction score
Hello all new to the forum and to Mesa amps. I recently purchased a Mesa Tremoverb 2x12 combo in a blue snakeskin from my local guitar center for a great price! Loving it so far. The amp did not come with a footswitch so I immediately was on the hunt for one. I found an older single button mesa switch through a friend of a friend. I traded an old tremolo pedal I had sitting in a bin for it. Problem is, I can't get it to work. I have it plugged into the foot switch jack and have the channel select switch on the back flipped up to where it says to be and nothing happens. I press the footswitch and the led turns on but no switching, I press it again and the led turns off. Anyone have any ideas? Something I'm missing or not doing? Maybe pedal is not compatible with my amp? Thanks.
902f.jpg

2qv4.jpg

nice amp man :)
have you tried the footswitch to control other functions (trem, loop etc), have you tried it in the front footswitch jack?. if it wont switch anything I would guess the switch is kaput.
does the amp switch ok if you manually toggle on the back.
that looks like the exact footswitch I have with my TOV so i'm pretty sure its the right one.
any channel changing switch should work so if you got another one lying around you could give it a go,
hope you can get it sorted.

ps. you would prob get more replies if this was posted on the rectifier board.

bzavala87

be patient, I'll check out my footswitches. My Trem-o-Verb has a different looking footswitch to the one you posted. That footswitch look similar to my Studio .22 and I have no idea if my Studio .22 footswitch could change channels on my ToV (or visa-versa).

You might have to change the resistor on that footswitch you obtain in order to make it work for your ToV.

Please be patient with me. I don't I have my studio .22 with me so I can't test if it change channel on my ToV. So I'll check on that later.

If you know how to use a solder iron or someone who knows how to solder I could give you the value of the resistor and picture how it should be soldered.

My Tremoverb didn't come with a footswitch either. I just got it a month ago, and I'm still messing with it, while being afraid to experiment with that. Though, the footswitch I did use was a different one, and it was kind of rusty, but it was the old silver recto footswitch, which had no power source. Does this one by any chance have a battery/power source? It could be a bad/incorrect power connection.

By the way, did I by a chance see this particular Tremoverb on Ebay a while ago? Looks killer, dude!

Nice looking amp. Good luck and enjoy. Hope you get that footswitch sorted out.

RR said:
bzavala87

be patient, I'll check out my footswitches. My Trem-o-Verb has a different looking footswitch to the one you posted. That footswitch look similar to my Studio .22 and I have no idea if my Studio .22 footswitch could change channels on my ToV (or visa-versa).

You might have to change the resistor on that footswitch you obtain in order to make it work for your ToV.

Please be patient with me. I don't I have my studio .22 with me so I can't test if it change channel on my ToV. So I'll check on that later.

If you know how to use a solder iron or someone who knows how to solder I could give you the value of the resistor and picture how it should be soldered.

Ok let me know what you find. I appreciate it!

lespaulguy32 said:
My Tremoverb didn't come with a footswitch either. I just got it a month ago, and I'm still messing with it, while being afraid to experiment with that. Though, the footswitch I did use was a different one, and it was kind of rusty, but it was the old silver recto footswitch, which had no power source. Does this one by any chance have a battery/power source? It could be a bad/incorrect power connection.

By the way, did I by a chance see this particular Tremoverb on Ebay a while ago? Looks killer, dude!

It's doesn't connect to a power source just straight to the amp.
And I'm not sure. Possibly might of been on eBay. I bought it at the local guitar center I work at.

bzavala87:

On the left is the footswitch you should be using. But ... you could wire the one on the right so it works with your Trem-o-Verb
mesa_footswitches.jpg

The footswitch you have has a resistor. You should remove it and wire it like below. Very simple. :wink:
rectifier_interior.jpg

You usually use a speaker cable than a patch cable for channel switching.

By the way, you don't happen to work at Guitar Center by the Bay Area (San Francisco, or East Bay - Oakland, Berkley area) I asks because my buddy has a ToV Combo just like the one you have. He's notorious of flipping gear which includes many boutique amps. :shock:

RR said:
bzavala87:

On the left is the footswitch you should be using. But ... you could wire the one on the right so it works with your Trem-o-Verb
mesa_footswitches.jpg

The footswitch you have has a resistor. You should remove it and wire it like below. Very simple. :wink:
rectifier_interior.jpg

You usually use a speaker cable than a patch cable for channel switching.

By the way, you don't happen to work at Guitar Center by the Bay Area (San Francisco, or East Bay - Oakland, Berkley area) I asks because my buddy has a ToV Combo just like the one you have. He's notorious of flipping gear which includes many boutique amps. :shock:

I work at the guitar center in Reno, NV which is only a few hours away from the Bay Area. The amp did have a receipt from a repair order for a tube change out of rancho Cordova right outside of Sacramento though.

bzavala87

I hope your footswitch works. I just hope its not something interior that's not able to switch between the two channels. I hope you download the ToV manual at Boogie site.

My ToV (as well as my Mark IIB Colesium) is behind many speaker enclosures and since I'm living back at home I can't disturb anyone home. :lol: I'm actually playing through small combos so I was not able to test the 'other' footswitch.

Yeah. I'm curious if your blue snakeskin like ToV used to be my buddy's. My buddy went into the "deep end". We don't know where he lives now. Last we heard was in Pleaston, CA and that's like 50 or so miles away from Sacramento. The footswitch did work. - lol.

I say he went to the "deep end' 'cause he got his real estate license and his office push him to sell as many homes as possible. Its as though he had to meet a quota. This was during the peak of home sales. He was taking 'speed' just to keep up. He was clearing 6-figures and also bought and sold many of his gear pre-CBS Fender Twin, Dr Z, Soldanos, MESAs Mark IIA, Blue Angel, ToV, etc ..

... then we never heard from him. :(

Anyway, good luck on the footswitch. :wink:

RR said:
bzavala87

I hope your footswitch works. I just hope its not something interior that's not able to switch between the two channels. I hope you download the ToV manual at Boogie site.

My ToV (as well as my Mark IIB Colesium) is behind many speaker enclosures and since I'm living back at home I can't disturb anyone home. :lol: I'm actually playing through small combos so I was not able to test the 'other' footswitch.

Yeah. I'm curious if your blue snakeskin like ToV used to be my buddy's. My buddy went into the "deep end". We don't know where he lives now. Last we heard was in Pleaston, CA and that's like 50 or so miles away from Sacramento. The footswitch did work. - lol.

I say he went to the "deep end' 'cause he got his real estate license and his office push him to sell as many homes as possible. Its as though he had to meet a quota. This was during the peak of home sales. He was taking 'speed' just to keep up. He was clearing 6-figures and also bought and sold many of his gear pre-CBS Fender Twin, Dr Z, Soldanos, MESAs Mark IIA, Blue Angel, ToV, etc ..

... then we never heard from him. :(

Anyway, good luck on the footswitch. :wink:

Well I wired the footswitch just like you have it in the picture here and it worked perfectly! Thank you very much for that!

I am sorry, if I have to resurrect this thread, but I am really desperate right now. I am currently restoring an old Mesa Rectifier Rev F 2 Channel footswitch that had a lot of damages. Someone even drilled a second hole in it for another input jack. But fortunately, I could cover this up.

So, I took this switch to a technician, he got it working again, but the switch worked as a Mark III one. The red light on the footswitch was very pale and only on when using the orange channel.
Since then, I've taken the switch to another technician with the picture from above. The red light is now very bright, but the switch does not change the channel anymore. It now looks like this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/perganj39lz1ziu/IMG-20170804-WA0018.jpeg?dl=0

And you are right, the technician no. 1 used some glue on it... :shock:

Can you confirm that the wiring at the beginning of this thread is working? I am a novice and it feels strange to cut out the capacitor, but I am willing to conduct the work myself now since no one seems to understand how to repair the switch in my region.

Thank you very much in advance! Hopefully we can get it all working again!

I think the second technician used a different resistor so the LED lights up brighter, but consequences it does not trigger off the channel switching.

If you know the value of the first resistor's value, you should try a resistor value in-between those value of the original one and the current one. Keep changing values until the Dual Rectifier changes channel. The LED may look dimmer as you change values thought.

RR said:
I think the second technician used a different resistor so the LED lights up brighter, but consequences it does not trigger off the channel switching.

If you know the value of the first resistor's value, you should try a resistor value in-between those value of the original one and the current one. Keep changing values until the Dual Rectifier changes channel. The LED may look dimmer as you change values thought.

I contacted Mesa for some help and received some advice. I wired the switch as pictured above without a resistor and it works perfectly. Thank you very much for all of your help! I am really happy now.

Back