Tube Rectifier Vs. Silicone Diode

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheArriaga88

Reaction score
hello all! i have a couple questions about my Dual rec that i was hoping to get some clarification on.

On the back of the amp there is a switch that goes between Tube Rectifier and Silicone Diodes
Is this to switch between tube rectification and solid state rectification?

If i have the switch set to silicone diodes, can i remove the rectifier tubes and run the amp without them?

Also what effect do either have on the amp in respect to output and tone?

As always any and all input would be greatly appreciated! :mrgreen:

I prefer the silicone diode setting for the clean channels of my roadster. I find that it responds better to pick attack and has a greater complexity to the tone. I run CH3 and CH4 rectified.

I will allow others to answer your question about pulling the rectifier tubes. I think it should work with it on the silicone diode setting but I would imagine that it depends on the circuit. I wouldn't recommend it because if you accidentally flip the switch, you might have an issue to deal with.

my Heartbreaker will not run without the rectifier tube in the circuit.

I'd say on this board, the majority of the members prefer silicon diode rectifier.

If you talk to vintage or boutique amp owners that don't use too much preamp gain or want a mild break up with their clean and not headroom clean they prefer rectifier tubes.

I could be wrong but at one point I think Randall Smith had a patent on the switchable rectifiers.

I like to have both!

unrelated I actually like to have also two sets of different speakers switchable with one amp. :D

TheArriaga88 said:
If i have the switch set to silicone diodes, can i remove the rectifier tubes and run the amp without them?

No.

RR said:
I'd say on this board, the majority of the members prefer silicon diode rectifier.

Not necessarily so. Not everybody plays thrash metal.

I like both options, for different applications.

RR said:
unrelated I actually like to have also two sets of different speakers switchable with one amp. :D

Did I hear someone say "Road King"?

LesPaul70 said:
RR said:
Not necessarily so. Not everybody plays thrash metal.

I like both options, for different applications.
I agree, :wink: I knew someone was going to catch me here. My buddy is in a Punk band prefer Gretsch and Rickenbacker guitars through tube rectifiers amps.

LesPaul70 said:
RR said:
Did I hear someone say "Road King"?
Road King is sweet and nice amp, but for me, just to much going on and not sure if I'd use everything on it.

so I settled on a Trem-o-Verb and Maverick.

If the amp is set to Silicone Diode, you CAN remove the rectifier tubes and run without them. In fact, this is a useful thing to do if you have a shorted recto tube on the gig - simply switch to diode and pull the shorted tube. Thanks!

Authorized Boogie said:
If the amp is set to Silicone Diode, you CAN remove the rectifier tubes and run without them. In fact, this is a useful thing to do if you have a shorted recto tube on the gig - simply switch to diode and pull the shorted tube. Thanks!

I thought it would work, but I am reluctant to tell someone to do something that can damage their amp without being 100% sure. The best part is that you have the "official" answer from the guys that made the amp. It's great that they check in on their users to make sure they get the correct information.

This is actually kind of interesting - I once had problems with a faulty rectifier tube. And I was using diode rectification.

I didn't think of actually removing the problematic tube.

Just for personal settings, I tend to run the tube rectification for the clean channels of my Road King and Tremoverb, and the silicone diode setting for the dirty channels of both amps. I find the silicone diode setting feels tighter on the dirty channels, while tube rectification adds a "bounce" to the clean channels.

thunda1216 said:

Using 6v6's?

I run the Diodes all the time with 6L6's and EL34's .I use the tube rec sometimes too.
I love having the option to use both depending on the sound I want.

Tweeked said:
thunda1216 said:

Using 6v6's?

I run the Diodes all the time with 6L6's and EL34's .I use the tube rec sometimes too.
I love having the option to use both depending on the sound I want.

I think you may have misunderstood. On my amp, the rectifier tube is part of the circuit whether I use the tube or silicon rectifier setting. If I have the amp set to silicon rectifier, the tube still needs to be in the socket or my amp will not work.

lespaulguy32 said:
I find the silicone diode setting feels tighter on the dirty channels, while tube rectification adds a "bounce" to the clean channels.
I agree, that's why I use the tubes on all of my channels. I don't really need it to be that tight.

Back