I’m after two tones - early Meshuggah and A Perfect Circle

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
More particularly
Meshuggah’s tone on Destroy Erase Improve and Chaosphere
And
A Perfect Circle’s (APC) Mer De Noms

These two (well, three) tones are my pinnacle for metal and for hard rock and I’m trying to find something to hit in the ball park of the two.

I’ve got a three channel dual rectifier, and I can get close to the first, but not quite there, and the same is true for the second.

What I’m wondering is if possibly the Mark III through V would get me any closer to those tones or if I should just soldier on with the Dual Recto. I know nothing is going to get there 100%, but I’d like to be close.

I guess what’s lacking is for the Meshuggah tones, I wish I could get the modern channel sounding more focused and less fizzy…and the opposite for the APC tone, I wish I could get even more “bloom” or usable fat gain on the vintage channel to get closer to the early Howerdel tone.

Note: I know that Meshuggah uses Line 6 stuff now, and I really dislike their tone now, I’m also aware that Howerdel uses the Friedman Naked as well, which I feel is characterized on the 13th Step album, and I don’t like that tone. I’ve heard it said that the APC tone on the first record was a modeler based on a Rectifier.

Any thoughts?

I've read that Meshuggah used Marshall 8200's. And a .50 Caliber+ for leads.
I don't know when, exactly.
I own both and thought that was cool.
Not sure if it helps. Just throwing that out there.

Well for Meshuggah's Chaosphere I read years ago on this forum that they used 2 channel rectos that were boosted.
The tone is similar on None and Destroy Erase Improve so I'd figure they used the same gear.

I think they used Marshall 8200's and .50 Caliber+ for leads on anything before None.
I'll see if I can find that info once again.

I can nail Howerdell's tone with my Mark V (IV mode), a little chorus up front and a Les Paul in C# loaded with a Duncan JB. I can't get anywhere close to APC with my Triple Rec, it's too loose/grainy.

Meshuggah's rhythm tone on Destroy Erase Improve was 2-Channel Rectos boosted with TC Electronic Line Drive/Booster-pedal.

Lead tone signal chain was pretty much taken from pre 1991 Allan Holdsworth setup with Caliber .50+, TC for boost, amp ran into Juice extractor, TC parametric EQ and Marshall Power amp.

thisundyingfire said:
Any chance the mark iv or v could get close to the Meshuggah tone since it sounds like it'll do APC?

I think they're using Ax-Fx's now but here's their older signal chain. A Mark won't do a Recto tone spot on but can get kinda close in Extreme mode on a Mark V or with the right EQ on a Mark IV. The Mark IV is way more aggressive than any of the Mark V modes.

http://www.guitarworld.com/meshuggah-share-secrets-their-sound

Back