Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Volume Loss

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheArriaga88

Reaction score
I recently bought a 2005 Dual Rectifier, when i bought it the guy had allegedly taken it down to MesaBoogie Hollywood (which was literally right down the street) to have it tested, all the tubes are original but supposedly they tested alright, i brought it home and i've had it for about a week and everything worked fine, volume, tone everything sounded great.

So yesterday i take my stuff over to my buddies house to jam, i plug in flip it on, and find that the volume had been reduced significantly, normally i play with the master volume at about 11-12oclock and the thing is **** LOUD, but now i had to turn it up to 12 o'clock to even be able to hear it, i have to turn the master all the way up to get close to the volume it used to belch out, so having have had more than a couple beers i decided maybe it wasn't the best time to start pulling and checking tubes.

so today in the morning i tested out the tubes 1 by 1 by using a troubleshooting technique that mesa recommends in a video, with the tubes warmed up, i flip the standby from STANDBY to ON then back to STANDBY giving it a jolt of power, and all 4 power tubes flash blue from somewhere in the middle of the tube. and when i turn the amp on all the way, the tubes have a bluish glow, now i hadn't really tried this before but i certainly had never noticed the tubes having that bluish glow. now having blown all my money on the amp, i don't have money to buy a new set of tubes, im gonna have to wait a couple of weeks before i can afford them,but for you all that are more experienced than myself in these amps, could the power tubes be the culprit in this sudden volume loss? or could there be a deeper problem to this?

by the way i have the effects loop bypassed and the volume drop is across all 3 channels( im not to sure if the clean channel has volume drop though because i never used that channel extensively so i have nothing to compare its current volume to) but channel 2 and 3 have definitely suffered.

sorry about the long post. any input would be greatly appreciated!

Do you use the effects loop? If not, do you enable it so you can use the solo boost? If you do, make sure the F/X send is at 12 o'clock. That can reduce the volume.

I dont use the effects loop, i tried enabling it with the fx send at 12oclock also i fiddled with the solo boost and output volume which makes a little difference but not a big one, the tone is still really great, usable even, the gain doesnt seem to be suffering just that the volume isnt as loud as it used to be :?

Latest posts

Back