Picked up my first Mesa this month - Mk V head

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Archlute75

Reaction score
8BC381EA-3D3F-4682-9A52-FA31C0D36CEF_zpsinemqdrs.jpg

Just wanted to share my joy. I've always had combos, and thought a 90w head would be too much expense and power. Very wrong. This head is the best all around gear purchase I've ever made. Amazing amp, and the features are so rich. Sitting on top is my Two Notes Torpedo Live loadbox/cab sim that I'm about to put in a rack with a Furman power conditioner and ISP Prorack G noise suppressor. That way, during gigs in which I'm not using the cab, I can just carry the head and 3U rack, and be done with it.

I absolutely love the sound, both with the 6L6s and EL34s (which I currently have in). I didn't know you could get so many sounds out of this thing. I love the fat clean, the crunch, and the Mk IV in triode. Tweed, Mk I, and Mk IIC are also great, but I've found myself gravitating toward the first three the most. Hands down I like everything best in 90w mode, as it really sings when opened up. For the stage that's cool through my cab. For the house, that's cool through my Torpedo into my headphones, lol. Wife's house rules past 10pm, but since she approved my purchase of the head, cab AND loadbox, I'll gladly follow them ;)

The topic title made me think that you regularly buy several Mesas every month.

In any case, congrats on your new gear. A solid choice. Have a nice time exploring what your amp can do - but be aware that the journey can take years. I got a V in 2010 and I feel I'm still discovering completely new sounds in it.

Back