Picking the perfect boogie...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fastforded

Reaction score
So I'm looking for a new amp and have been patiently waiting till my old one took lunch.

That days here... So I have been looking around for something...

Mesa boogies always been my choice for a "new to me"
Amp...

Just seems like I'm over whelmed with models and choices...

I was lookin for that 2C plus sound. A heavy metal crunch sound...

I just need a little combo amp.. Nothing like a stack or half stack..

Some suggestions have been:

Express plus series
Mark2c plus
DC
F
Single recto amp
.50 caliber series

Many choices and I am not that experienced with what to get or what to avoid so any suggestions would be appreciated... Ask the experts....

Thanks for the time...

If you are after the Mark sound then get Mark! A used 2C+ will be pretty pricey and fairly hard to find. I'd suggest looking into the Mark III or IV. Both will cost you less than a C+ If you buy used and will get you in the ballpark of the sound you are after.

destropiate said:
If you are after the Mark sound then get Mark! A used 2C+ will be pretty pricey and fairly hard to find. I'd suggest looking into the Mark III or IV. Both will cost you less than a C+ If you buy used and will get you in the ballpark of the sound you are after.

guess each ones unique on its own... gonna try and look through the specs on maybe give mesa a call... any good guides to the different models of boogies? Something easy to understand? WIKI to the rescue...

found this:
Triaxis
"A five-tube preamp built to put all of the Mark series amps into one package. The Triaxis combines the clean tones of the Mark IV and the crunch of the Mark IIc series."

maybe the tri-axis model?

and more importantly i think is the statement "the crunch of the Mark IIc series."

thats exactly what im looking for... so what options i have?

the original mark2c
or
express plus?

If you are looking for the crunch/high gain of the 2c+ I don't think the express series will do it. The f series and DC have more in common with the Recto tone. The stiletto series is boogies take on the British or Marshall sound. Lonestars are more for classic rock sounds or playing clean. If you look up the history of the Mark III you can see the revisions. The Red stripe models lead channel was made to sound similar to the C+ sound and you can get Mesa to modify any Mark 2 or 3 to 2C+ specs.
The triaxis will also get you close to that sound and allot of other boogie sounds as well.

My mark 3 gets close enough to the 2C+ sound compared to my buddies. It's not exactly the same but we both think neither is really better than the other just a little different. If you want that sound specifically I really think you are going to have to stick with any amp in the Mark lineup or the triaxis. I don't know if you want a 2C+ for the Metallica sound or the Santana vibe, but really any Mark series amp except the Mark 1 can get you there faster than any amp that isn't a Mark.

destropiate said:
If you are looking for the crunch/high gain of the 2c+ I don't think the express series will do it. The f series and DC have more in common with the Recto tone. The stiletto series is boogies take on the British or Marshall sound. Lonestars are more for classic rock sounds or playing clean. If you look up the history of the Mark III you can see the revisions. The Red stripe models lead channel was made to sound similar to the C+ sound and you can get Mesa to modify any Mark 2 or 3 to 2C+ specs.
The triaxis will also get you close to that sound and allot of other boogie sounds as well.

My mark 3 gets close enough to the 2C+ sound compared to my buddies. It's not exactly the same but we both think neither is really better than the other just a little different. If you want that sound specifically I really think you are going to have to stick with any amp in the Mark lineup or the triaxis. I don't know if you want a 2C+ for the Metallica sound or the Santana vibe, but really any Mark series amp except the Mark 1 can get you there faster than any amp that isn't a Mark.

Definitely the Metallica crunch I'm after.. So then stick with the mark 2 or 3 as opposed to anything else...looking for a small combo cabinet. Wow the 2c's are really expensive...get what you pay for I guess. Maybe a tri axis but I can't see anything but the marks.

What you said about the sound makes total sense... I was just hoping for a close alternative (sound wise) to the marks...

Thanks

The Mark III will get you close to that sound for sure. So will a IV. Both are killer metal amps and both will be much cheaper used than a IIC+. In my opinion the Mark III is one of the best deals on a used amp there is. You shouldn't have any trouble finding a combo in the 800-900 range and I've seen them even cheaper than that sometimes. You gotta remember that Metallica record in multi million dollar studios with the best producers and tonnes if gear. Even if you got the IIC+ you won't ever sound exactly like that. I've read that they actually slaved the preamp of their mesas into Marshall heads to get their sound. Having said that the Mark series is one of the best amps out there for heavy metal and you shouldn't have any trouble getting a real killer sound that is pretty **** close to what you hear on the classic Metallica albums.

destropiate said:
The Mark III will get you close to that sound for sure. So will a IV. Both are killer metal amps and both will be much cheaper used than a IIC+. In my opinion the Mark III is one of the best deals on a used amp there is. You shouldn't have any trouble finding a combo in the 800-900 range and I've seen them even cheaper than that sometimes. You gotta remember that Metallica record in multi million dollar studios with the best producers and tonnes if gear. Even if you got the IIC+ you won't ever sound exactly like that. I've read that they actually slaved the preamp of their mesas into Marshall heads to get their sound. Having said that the Mark series is one of the best amps out there for heavy metal and you shouldn't have any trouble getting a real killer sound that is pretty **** close to what you hear on the classic Metallica albums.

yep, figures something like that to get that "uniqueness"

thanks, anything special to know about differences in mark 3, mark 4 and mark 5? (especially regarding that mark 2c sound)

I don't know much at all about the Mark V. I've heard people say that the lead channel of a IV is a bit smoother than the III and a little less aggressive. Lamb of God used them for most of their tours though and I've never had any problem getting a real aggressive metal tone when I've plugged into one.
My redstripe Mark III is brutal. If I want it to be. All marks are very versatile so getting really great cleans or a sweeter lead tone is no problem either. Mine is a redstripe and that's the only version of this amp I've ever heard so I can't comment on other revisions. Check out this link and it will help understand the III and all the differences between the stripes.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesa_Boogie_Mark_Series

If you want that tight metal rhythm tone you really can't go wrong with a Mark. I've owned/sold/traded lots of high gain amps and the Mark III is the one I ended up sticking with. It's the only amp I ever bough twice. I owned one about 6 years ago but it was a rack mount so I traded it away. After experimenting with other amps over the years I eventually bought another one last year and I won't part with that tone from now on.

destropiate said:
I don't know much at all about the Mark V. I've heard people say that the lead channel of a IV is a bit smoother than the III and a little less aggressive. Lamb of God used them for most of their tours though and I've never had any problem getting a real aggressive metal tone when I've plugged into one.
My redstripe Mark III is brutal. If I want it to be. All marks are very versatile so getting really great cleans or a sweeter lead tone is no problem either. Mine is a redstripe and that's the only version of this amp I've ever heard so I can't comment on other revisions. Check out this link and it will help understand the III and all the differences between the stripes.

If you want that tight metal rhythm tone you really can't go wrong with a Mark. I've owned/sold/traded lots of high gain amps and the Mark III is the one I ended up sticking with. It's the only amp I ever bough twice. I owned one about 6 years ago but it was a rack mount so I traded it away. After experimenting with other amps over the years I eventually bought another one last year and I won't part with that tone from now on.

Thanks I started reading the wiki... Might have to reread a few times to appreciate everything I'm reading... Need a primer on amplification and pre-amps...

I'm somewhat worried about the prospect of buying one of these "vintage" classics...
Even though that's the only choice for the sound I was looking for..

There are not new and are 25ish years old...give or take

That's alot of heat cycles, on off, use, traveling, wear etc. on these amps..

Hate to get one and have it not power up...after all the work getting it and price it cost...

Then it's got to be fixed and won't be the same...

I guess in like get lucky and get a nice one but there's that risk I'm worried about...

I don't really know alot about how and if mesa boogies break or wear out...

Thanks

Fastforded said:
destropiate said:

Thanks I started reading the wiki... Might have to reread a few times to appreciate everything I'm reading... Need a primer on amplification and pre-amps...

I'm somewhat worried about the prospect of buying one of these "vintage" classics...
Even though that's the only choice for the sound I was looking for..

There are not new and are 25ish years old...give or take

That's alot of heat cycles, on off, use, traveling, wear etc. on these amps..

Hate to get one and have it not power up...after all the work getting it and price it cost...

Then it's got to be fixed and won't be the same...

I guess in like get lucky and get a nice one but there's that risk I'm worried about...

I don't really know alot about how and if mesa boogies break or wear out...

Thanks

FYI, we service and/or repair ALL of the amps we've ever made. When it comes to the Mark Series amps, Mike B works on all of them - and he has over 30 years of experience with them. There is no one on the planet that is as familiar with early Marks then Mike B. Thanks!

I wouldn't worry too much about the age of the amp. My Boogie was made in 1987 and came to me sounding pretty horrid because of the mismatched tubes the previous owner put in it. After a retube mine sounds just as it should. I took it to a tech for a once over when I first got it and he said there really wasn't much to do other than clean the dust out of the thing. Mesa's service is second to none as well so if you did have any problem I'm sure they could sort it out no problem. I wouldn't hesitate to buy an old boogie any more than I would a much older Marshall or fender which people are still running problem free to this day.

destropiate said:
I wouldn't worry too much about the age of the amp. My Boogie was made in 1987 and came to me sounding pretty horrid because of the mismatched tubes the previous owner put in it. After a retube mine sounds just as it should. I took it to a tech for a once over when I first got it and he said there really wasn't much to do other than clean the dust out of the thing. Mesa's service is second to none as well so if you did have any problem I'm sure they could sort it out no problem. I wouldn't hesitate to buy an old boogie any more than I would a much older Marshall or fender which people are still running problem free to this day.

Thanks. I'm thinking its a fortune to send to mesa... Will it get lost/damaged on the trip... I'd be scared to send it. Probably drive there and drop it off an wait out front for as long as it took...camp out at mesa... Wow they should so sweet I don't think I would know a bad one of I heard it and kinda worried about getting sold something not as advertised...

I know all my pedals from the 70s an 80s still work like the day I got them but I learned along time ago to take relly good care of my gear.

I liken this boogie quest to bringing a new member home to the family...
Can't wait to see what it will be...

Any thing special about the white cabinet models? Not sure is they were just a color option or they signified something...

And I need to check out those striped amps and see. My local mesa boogie dealer wasn't too helpful at all.. Guess he figures I'm just tire kicking... Oh well his loss....

Thanks for all the info... Keep it coming i'm learning

And patently awaiting the new boogie whenever I find it...

SonVolt said:
Not sure if you're aware or not but the Triaxis is only a preamp. Not the combo you're looking for.

thanks, yep needed a combo...

found this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jl8WPjeFKAc

That's pretty much the crunchin tone im looking for...

I almost think the express plus would work......

That sounds intense. its not even turned up so I cant imagine... Im not going to be able to sleep now...

Thanks for all the cool comments!

Nothing's better than a boogie....

"perfect for a small room, or a coliseum."

I should get some t-shirts made... 8)

If you're after Metallica why not just get what they used? Get a Mark IV combo or even a Mark V combo. I own both. They ARE the quintessential Hetfield tone. No other amp is going to give you that sound, only a Mark.

SonVolt said:
If you're after Metallica why not just get what they used? Get a Mark IV combo or even a Mark V combo. I own both. They ARE the quintessential Hetfield tone. No other amp is going to give you that sound, only a Mark.

Yep that's what it seems... Thanks.

Good gravy, people. Has NOBODY mentioned the Mark V yet? Seriously? It has a Mark IIc+ circuit right in it and it switches between 90 / 50 / 10 watts. It does Mark IIc+ and much, much more.

Having played on one, the Mark I mode on channel 2 is particularly stellar. I know IIc+ will do leads and rhythm fine with the same settings so the extra tones are just extra, but in a great way. Also, great cleans on channel 1. The 1 x 12 combo sounds exactly like what this guy is after.

Latest posts

Back