Roadking 2 Version 2 Reverb bleed when changing channel

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musicrepairs

Reaction score
Im new to this forum. I repair amps for a living. I have a roadking in for repair. my customer claims that when switching from Say channel 3 with reverb on
and then to the clean with reverb on, he gets a swell. I can confirm this If your bashing it out on channel 3 then go to a soft part on the clean channel when the soft mute circuit releases the sound energy stored in the reverb comes through.
My question to roadking owners, can you tell me if this how they are? Do you experience reverb bleed when you change channels. (really noticeable from channels 3&4, but also from channel 2)
I have read else where about the pulse muting circuit. I can confirm the mute circuit is working and ( the pulse mute circuit for the reverb is around 3 seconds)
which is not the same time for channel switching muting which suppresses popping. Channel muting is shorter and working normally

musicrepairs said:
Im new to this forum. I repair amps for a living. I have a roadking in for repair. my customer claims that when switching from Say channel 3 with reverb on
and then to the clean with reverb on, he gets a swell. I can confirm this If your bashing it out on channel 3 then go to a soft part on the clean channel when the soft mute circuit releases the sound energy stored in the reverb comes through.
My question to roadking owners, can you tell me if this how they are? Do you experience reverb bleed when you change channels. (really noticeable from channels 3&4, but also from channel 2)
I have read else where about the pulse muting circuit. I can confirm the mute circuit is working and ( the pulse mute circuit for the reverb is around 3 seconds)
which is not the same time for channel switching muting which suppresses popping. Channel muting is shorter and working normally
People with reverb and delay units often make this complaint.
Anything that causes a sustain or regeneration of audio.
It's absolutely normal. There's nothing really wrong.

however, it may be possible to tweak or mod the circuit to stop it from happening...

Sometimes, you will hear players say...that if you keep the master volumes at "about the same level,"
(clean and overdrive masters)
it stops most of the problem from happening.
And the Marshall engineers have said "about" the same thing...
It may be difficult for a tech to understand why.

It helps if you are an established musician and guitar player, to really understand it from that viewpoint.

And some people who design amps are not really established guitar players, and they don't catch all the possible nuances of application.

Thanks for the reply Soundguruman,

I played around with the muting time that mutes the output of the reverb tank, and got varied results.
Funny enough I hooked up a digital reverb in place of the reverb tank and shortened the duration time on the reverb and the issue disappeared.

I feel that that muting the reverb, is a timing issue/verse what we hear and would like to put up with.
The reverb time on this amp I think is a medium duration, a possible solution would be to put a shorter duration time reverb tank. (as per my test with a digital reverb).
But that only works if you like short duration reverb tanks.

I have thought of a few solutions for my customer, and will post my ideas if I find a working solution, for guitarists who feel this is a issue for them

This may or may not apply to your specific case, but... I find the muting time on my RK2 reverb to be about 2 sec. It works as designed to keep bleed on channel switching under control. In my specific situation, I use the amp reverb (always on) as a subtle ambience to compensate for room acoustics, and a separate delay and reverb in the loop for use as an effect.

Back