New Express Plus - Reverb Problem????? Can't hear anything.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gswilder

Reaction score
I just bought a new Mesa Boogie express plus today. I cannot hear the reverb doing anything on either channel. I have tried clean, crunch, blues, burn... cannot tell that the reverb is doing anything.

Is there a known issue with the reverb on these units? Or is the reverb just weak. Or is it user error?? what am I doing wrong. something obvious.

Thanks in advance
Greg

gswilder said:
I just bought a new Mesa Boogie express plus today. I cannot hear the reverb doing anything on either channel. I have tried clean, crunch, blues, burn... cannot tell that the reverb is doing anything.

Is there a known issue with the reverb on these units? Or is the reverb just weak. Or is it user error?? what am I doing wrong. something obvious.

Thanks in advance
Greg

Where is the reverb level set? Do you have the footswitch plugged in? Any change if you remove the footswitch? Did you check to be sure the RCA cables are firmly seated on the underside of the chassis and the tank itself? Finally - do you have another 12AX7 to swap into the reverb driver/return position? If you've covered everything with no change - give us a call in Customer Service and we will get it sorted out with you. Thanks!

That amp should have great reverb! The reverb tank in my 5:50 failed under warranty and was replaced for free.

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried them all except the tube swap. I cannot tell any difference with the footswitch connected or not. I did check the black/white RCA wires from the control board to the reverb tank. They seem to be plugged in on both ends properly. Of course I did not test the cables themselves.

I do have a 12ax7 around here somewhere. It will be a night or two before I could try swapping that out.

Any other suggestions? Call support?

Thanks again
Greg

gswilder said:
Thanks for the suggestions. I tried them all except the tube swap. I cannot tell any difference with the footswitch connected or not. I did check the black/white RCA wires from the control board to the reverb tank. They seem to be plugged in on both ends properly. Of course I did not test the cables themselves.

I do have a 12ax7 around here somewhere. It will be a night or two before I could try swapping that out.

Any other suggestions? Call support?

Thanks again
Greg

If you've got a 12AX7 to swap out, that would be great. If not, or if you try it and that doesn't help - call us and we'll figure it out - and get you up and running! Thanks!

Just to confirm... I see there are 5 12ax7 tubes. Is the reverb tube V5?

If you have to repair it, will I have to ship the entire amp back? Or can you send a replacement reverb tank? (I am an electronic engineer)

Thanks
Greg

By the way, I love the AMP. I've owned probably 15 amps in my life, including some in the $2k range. The boogie express is sweet.

The reverb driver/return tube is V5.

If its not related to any other things we covered above, give us a call in Customer Service - and we can get a new tank headed out your way, if needed. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back