Road King 2x12 cab question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nihon Jim

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a 2x12 cab and have a line on a used 2x12 Road King Horizontal Cabinet. This amp has a partially open back (I presume one closed back portion acoustically separated from an open backed section - I'm not clear on the internal construction). The cab is loaded with a V30 (closed back portion) and (I think) a 90w Celestion Black Shadow in the open back section.

Looking for opinions of this cab. Does anyone have experience with one?

Thank you
Jim :D

I have one of those cabs with my RK 1 head. I like it with my RK, but not as much with my Dyne. You have the option of running 2 speakers together at 4 ohms, or each speaker separately at 8 ohms each, which really plays out well with a RK. As I said, with my RK, it is an awesome cab. I just prefer my other cab with the Dyne. You are correct with the speakers loaded in it (if it's still factory). V30 on the closed back side and C90 on the open side, and they are acoustically separated internally. It's a little heavy for it's size, but then, so are all Mesa cabs. Watch the stage volume; this cab projects!

The RK cabinet was designed to give the capability of an open-back sounds for cleans and a closed-back sound for recto goodness. I think it would probably be more of a liability with amps that don't have speaker switching.

Ultimately I believe it would be about the same as running a closed-back 1x12 in parallel with an open-back 1x12. Personally I prefer a bigger cabinet for the V30s, so I use 2x12 recto cabs. The 1x12 closed-back half is likely pretty restrictive.

Back