Anyone running a full stack with a 4x12 and 2x12 cabs?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SonVolt

Reaction score
Would it sound weird to run a head through a 4x12 recto cab on the left and a 2x12 recto cab on the right - spaced out about 10 feet? Would the 2x12 have noticeably less volume?

I have seen a 4x12 on top of a 2x12, but never a stereo spread. Personally, I don't see the point in spreading them out. Can you please explain your reasoning?

Just scored a RK combo and a 4x12 so I can let you know about the vol balance this wknd (I pick it up Saturday). Not exactly the same comparison as the combo is open-back C90's, but if there is a huge imbalance I'm sure you could throw a hotplate or similar attenuator at the louder cab to even them out.

Update as promised: The 2x12 open back C90 combo with a V30 loaded 4x12 balance together quite nicely. As you would expect the open back combo has a more room-filling sound, where the 4x12 is punchier and very directional. As far as vol balance however, no problem. They seem about the same (this is maybe 15 ft away at a healthy volume) I'm sure the 4x12 would become dominant at longer distances.

I do this every gig. I run a rectifier 412 on my side of the stage and an avatar 212 contemporary on
the other side. Bass player runs a 410 on each side as well with his prodigy.. I find it fills the room better.
I run live sound for my sons punk band and do this as well with them. I like using the mains for drums and vocals
with a hint of guitar and bass in a club enviornment. Just dont mix up impedance. My mesa is 8 ohm and my avatars is
8 ohm so I run them out of the 4 ohm outs.

Back