5:25+, 5:50+, LSC, LSS, ED

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

After reading my post, which would you choose?

• Express 5:25+ 1x12"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Express 5:50+ 1x12"

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Lone Star Head

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Lone Star Special 1x12"

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Electra Dyne 1x12"

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters

ifailedshapes

Reaction score
Hey, all. I'm looking into buying a new amp next month, and I've found good deals on the following:

Express 5:25+ 1x12"
Express 5:50+ 1x12"
Lone Star Head
Lone Star Special 1x12"
Electra Dyne 1x12"

You can see the amps I've owned in my signature, so I've got a pretty good feeling for these amps, but I'm always open to opinions and suggestions from others. My main guitar is an ASAT special with the MFDs. I don't play high gain, and the tone I look for is more of a boutiquey gain and a warm clean. I would like the amp to have a good dirty sound available, but I plan on getting a couple of nice overdrive pedals, so it needs to work well with those. I jam with a good friend sometimes, but mainly just play at my church, where we play modern P&W music - think Nashville type tones.

So if you were in my shoes, what would you get? Also, I don't plan on selling my Ace.

I initially voted for the Electradyne, because it does it all: nice warm clean that can be driven to clip, a great crunchy lowgain, and great high gain tone. I think the concensus is that the Lonestar has a very slightly better clean that can also be driven to clip. The Lonestar has a completely separate gain channel that can be a clone of channel one. The Lonestar has a great low gain rhythm, but the Electradyne's blue channel is better. The Lonestar's 2nd channel stands out as a great lead channel.
Since you have a Stiletto, I vote for the Lonestar. If you could only have one amp, I would vote for the Electradyne.

Really a toss-up between the LS and the Dyne. I look at my Dyne and I think that it will be the one amp I will keep for the duration. I'm so sure that I paid a few hundred dollars for an ostrich-pattern leather cabinet.

I'm really leaning toward another Lone Star Special. I just remember loving the sweetness that amp has. I actually owned it and the Dyne concurrently for about a month, and I had a very hard time deciding which one to let go. I ultimately let the LSS go, and I always kinda felt I made the wrong decision. My personality is such that I enjoy trying new things, but I think this might be a good time to go back to something that I know works....

Still welcoming outside opinions, of course!

Latest posts

Back