Hey Maverick owners

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crowbar

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I have a Maverick 2x12 that I like a lot. I am a blues/country kind of player and the clean channel suits me fine. The lead/drive channel is not useful to me, very muddy to my ears, I never switch it on.Not a big deal to me but now I'm wondering if I might as well get it fixed. It's like this,

I play a Les Paul. With the drive channel treble all the way up, there is hardly any there. I am not into high gain crunch sounds and keep first volume pretty low. The most useful tone I can get is like the dull lead sounds on a Cream record. I would like a brighter sound with just a little more grit than the clean channel.

Question is, do you think there is something wrong with it? What does your Mav sound like with the treble on ten? Most amps get piercing to my ears with the treble up that high.

Thanx

Definitely something wrong there, or, at least, different from my Maverick.

What are your other control settings for the lead channel? I keep the Treble and Bass about the same as the rhythm channel (~2 o'clock), but move the mid from about 8 o'clock to 2 o'clock.

What kind of tubes are you using?

I've done some tube swapping already, not much difference. As for the other EQ controls, they can go up or down and not make a great difference. Again, treble on ten bass on zero, and it sounds like the lead tone from SWABLR .

I'm with green_henry, something is not right. I've had a Maverick 1-12 combo for about a week. The lead channel gets plenty bright, but not ice-pickey (Mesa made the Stilettos for that, :D ). I've found that on the lead channel, the treble control doesn't change the tone much past 1-2 o'clock - it just adds more gain. You definitely need to get yours checked out. My lead channel is anything but muddy.

I've played most Mesas and still have a Mark-III green stripe, but the Maverick is the best channel switcher they've ever made to these ears.

Back