MESA BOOGIE ROAD KING 2

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MatoMusicMan

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a little problem... I own a Mesa Boogie Road King 2 head and two Marshall cabinets. I'm planning on buying Boogie cabinets and I've checked up the Road King series (because it's the same head) and the Rectifier Traditional series (because John Petrucci uses them). I've already tried the Road King but that was like 2 years ago and I don't have a chance of trying any one of them right now.

I mostly play hard rock and metal, Dream Theater, Circus Maximus, Gotthard, Europe, Whitesnake, Winger etc.
Which one would you recommend?

Thanks in advance! Boogie rocks :wink:

From your list of influences and cab choices I'd recommend the Mesa Traditional (smaller) 4x12's.
I play though a similar cab with a Roadster and the added tightness and mid range vs the oversize cabs lends well to the genre. I'd also recommend using a third cab so you can take advantage of the RK's speaker switching.

oh... one more question... the mesa boogie traditional is now called stiletto right?
http://altomusic.com/shop/Mesa-Boogie-Stiletto-4X12-Standard-Traditional-Cabinet_pid112230.am
It's the same right?

Greetings,

I have a Roadking II with a standard Rec 4x12 and I have an Traditional 4x12.

To me the oversized cab has a bigger sound more low end. The traditional has more of a mid range punch and more high mid sizzle. I wouldn't say one sounds better than the other, some days I'm in the mood for the Rec cab some days I'm in the mood for the traditional cab. That statement above is for high gain. On clean I straight up like the Rec cab better, it sounds bigger. Kind of like comparing a 2x12 to a 4x12 but not as big of a difference obviously. Hope that helps. If I had to choose one I would pick the Rec cab hands down.

Latest posts

Back