Electra Dyne or Stiletto Ace for a Led Zep Tribute band ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Electra Dyne vs. Stiletto Ace for Classic Rock ?

• Electra Dyne (...+ 4X12 w GreenBacks)

Votes: 10 83.3%
  • Stiletto Ace (...+ 4X12 w Greenbacks)

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SirJackdeFuzz

Reaction score
Title pretty much says it all.

If you can choose only between the two . . . which one will make a GREAT Classic Rock amp / Alternative Marshall tone ?

And feel free why you say so !

Thanks to all
:wink:

Well I'm in a Zep tribute and have owned a Stiletto Deuce and an ED and I'd probably go ED between the two, although both are great amps and either will get the job done well. The ED is more "refined" and has a superior clean channel IMO. The Stiletto gave me some "ear fatigue" after a half hour or so of playing, but that might be just me. Neither really cops the "cranked Marshall" Pagey lead tone but the only way to really do that is...well...

Actually, I just picked up a Mark V head that I am pretty excited about playing some Zep through--if you got the licks down no one really gives a rats *** anyway. As long as your singer has the range, you're all good :D

Many thanks for your insight/experience sharing about these two amps.

I too heard from MANY gig'ing muso's that the entire range of Stiletto's can be ear piercing.

Saying that, fellow Boogie Board member Tripping Daizy, has a used ACE, and he said that if dialed in 'correctly' the amp can be very warm & pleasant sounding.
I am guessing it is something very close to BASS maxed, MIDS (?), TREB almost zero with Presence also pretty much at zero.

Is it true that the Elctra Dyne can sound a little bit stiff/dry ?

I'm not saying that the Stiletto was too "bright"--I'm a Marshall guy--I like and embrace bright LOL. I had one when they first came out--a 50w head--then I picked up the rev2 50w head again in a trade. I liked Rev 2 better but it still had a strange "inherent harshness" that was very subtle but didn't agree with me. I sold the ED because I thought it just needed a "more" switch. Great clean channel, but I thought it needed a little more gain to be a keeper. Of course I do not use OD pedals of any sort so take this with a grain of salt, but I find the early metal panel Marshalls have plenty once they are cooking so it's not like I'm a gain freak or anything. But once it's breathing I did not think it was a "stiff" amp at all, to answer your question.

jpage said:
I'm not saying that the Stiletto was too "bright"--I'm a Marshall guy--I like and embrace bright LOL. I had one when they first came out--a 50w head--then I picked up the rev2 50w head again in a trade. I liked Rev 2 better but it still had a strange "inherent harshness" that was very subtle but didn't agree with me. I sold the ED because I thought it just needed a "more" switch. Great clean channel, but I thought it needed a little more gain to be a keeper. Of course I do not use OD pedals of any sort so take this with a grain of salt, but I find the early metal panel Marshalls have plenty once they are cooking so it's not like I'm a gain freak or anything. But once it's breathing I did not think it was a "stiff" amp at all, to answer your question.

OK, understood . . . thanks :wink:

So they DID make a Stage II Stiletto Ace??? Everything I've read says they ONLY made the 50W Stiletto (Ace) in a Stage II format.
I have a newer Ace head and it doesn't say II and I've never seen an Ace with the II designation. Hmm.

Anyway, I too am an old Marshall guy. Not in a tribute band but I LOVE the Stiletto Ace as a versatile old..and new, and newer Marshall.
If you try one DO use the knobs on it. I wouldn't say that the bass gets cranked on mine but the treble, middle, and presence are dialed very low just like I run my old non master 4-hole Marshalls.
They are an EL34 amp and if you want them to sound like an old Marshall you'll need to bias it like an old Marshall and run old tubes like an old Marshall...and, mustard caps can do a lot to get rid of the plastic fizz quality of ANY Mallory filled amp. I'm not suggesting you should buy a Stiletto, load it with vintage glass and adjustable bias and swap all the caps for mustards. Unless you have a nice stash of mustards and they'd be easy to fit on the board ...wink.
Naaaaahhhh....I'm not gonna put mustards in my Stiletto. Not yet anyway.

Stiletto ace is stage two circuit... Nice amp. ED is... Whole lotta love?
Either one, but the ED probably gets the mojo.

I think the Stiletto Ace is brighter a la Super Lead while the Electra Dyne is darker with phatter lows a la Super Bass.

They're both probably good options but you may find the Electra Dyne more appropriate. Vintage Lo will do what you want with some clever EQ settings and you'll have a fantastic clean and higher gain tone on tap as well.

Back