Hello, allow me to iintroduce myself

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaun

Reaction score
I'm Shaun. New to mesa products. Well. Im new to being serious about buying one. I've been drooling over mesas since I started listening to Metallica. I've been playing guitar for about 8 years, and Im looking to replace my randall head soon.
Alright so heres the thing. I love the Metallica tone (clean AND distorted) and want similar tone. I understand the Mark would be good, if not perfect for that. But I believe Kirk has been using Dual Rectos for god knows how long (atleast before he switched to his signature randall.) Anyways. My main two heads ive been looking at are the Road King and Mark V. The mark is apparently better for lead tones and nice tight low end. Which seems perfect. But the RK has two effects loops, and think thats a perfect way of having chorus in the clean (leave chorus on. Only use that loop while on clean channel) and not having to tap dance around my board. FYI the dual loops is actually the reason I stopped wanting a roadster and aimed for a roadking. But the mark seems to have the high gain tone I want. Or do I want recto? Im not sure as people seem to blabber about rectos being bad lead amps, while I enjoy KH's sound plenty and he uses a recto.
Any advice at all from people familiar with these? Any way I can have a mark and chorus-y cleans?
Thanks!

Hm..so nobody on the mesa board knows anything about the mark or road king?

I cannot speak to the Road King. I have never actually seen one in person. I have played through several Mark series amps - and I currently own a Mark-IV.

The Mark-IV is one of the best amps that I have ever played through. In no particular order, some of the things that stick out for me concerning the Mark-IV:

1. I love the deep, throaty cleans that I can get from channel 1.
2. Channels 2 and 3 both have very good rhythm tones. Channel 3 is a little more 'in your face'.
3. I get great lead tones from both 2 and 3. The sounds are not the same, but they are both good. Channel 2's lead tone is very nice when I play off of my neck pickups (SG and LP both). Not as much thump as I get on 3, but a very, very good, vintage lead tone.
4. I run most of the time in class A, tweed power mode. I have EL34s in mine and love the way they sound.
5. Great master-volume. For practice, I get a good tone at a lower volume. Plus, when I crank the output volume, things get even better.
7.The other controls (Fat, presence, harmonics, ...) all give good options for customizing your sound.

I do dislike the fact the ch1 and ch2 share some tone controls. But, it has never caused a real problem.

The things that you can get out of a Mark series amp truly amaze me: Metal, classic rock, country, jazz, ... - a very versatile design. The amp is very sensitive to what you give it. Change your pup's volume control and you open up a new avenue of what the amp can do.

All of this is NOT to say anything bad about the Road King. I simply have never played through one and cannot give you a first-hand review. From what I have read, these two amps have a lot of things in common. To the degree where your choice may come down to determining which one have the better feature list for you. Enjoy the quest!

If your mind works the same as mine (in the way you treat an amp, dial in the amp, and so forth), you will find that Randall Smith has come up with some very good designs for these amps. To me, Mesas simply 'make sense'. Which ever one you choose, you are going to have a blast!

Let the fellas on the board know which album you're most interested in emulating.

And be patient with waiting for a response...somebody will eventually give you some good info!

talltxguy said:
Let the fellas on the board know which album you're most interested in emulating.

And be patient with waiting for a response...somebody will eventually give you some good info!
Perhaps my response did not include any good info. Since I have never played through a Road King (and cannot speak to it), I debated on whether to even post (since it would be a rather one-sided post what with having Mark-IV content only). I finally decided to post simply to relate some of the things that I do like about my Mark-IV.

To the OP: If my post confused you or did not provide you with good and helpful info, I apologize. That was not my intent. I was merely trying to help.

No I definitely do appreciate the info, thanks. And as far as album sound/tone im going for, Id say maybe, load/death magnetic. What im most concerned about is getting chorus in my clean. I love that the RK has 2 loops and feel thatd be a good solution to my problem

Kirk liked his ADA pre-amp for leads, recto for rhythm. The Mark IV is good amp. I use it for practice at home more than practice with a band or at live shows because I also have a Mark III, and, well, to each their own I suppose. I'm toying with the idea of selling the IV to get a IIC, but there is a need for the things I do with the IV that would be hard to replace, like leaving it in my van for weeks. I play with several classic rock groups and occasionally I'll fill in for a sick player and get the call at work and I go straight to the gig after work, or I'll do an open mic on the way home, I've got an acoustic with me all the time also so I can play for the ladies (I work at a retirement home some days.) You'll do great trying to reach Kirk's sound with either amp, IMO, if you take the time to do the work, I guarantee people will cream over your sound when it is compared to what Metallica sounds like on MP3. Welcome, Boogie seriously changed my life.

What I dont really get is, what makes either a good lead/rhythm amp? Like if I have a rk, are people (musicians) going to seriously going to hear it and say "oh yeah hes got a recto, lead sound = bad."?
Just curious. As I havent played either. But I can say I do like a nice tight sound. With a recto, Is the "looseness" that exaggerated? Will I be unable to play good fast rhythyms?

I'd say get a Mark V. You'll love the tone, feel, and the crazy tightness overall. It can get big and bad, but the feel is just so amazing!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j34U7k6mWzI

Greetings and welcome aboard. :D
I was in a Metallica cover band for a while so I have a bit of experience chasing that kind of sound.
I started out with a Triaxis/2:90 rig that nailed any Metallica tone you could dream up. I regrettably sold it because it was a pain to dial in on the fly and I was really inexperience with tube amps at the time.
Next I bought a Mark IV which I loved to pieces and really pulled off The Black Album sound but the amp was schizophrenic. One day it sounded perfect and if you moved a mic stand or looked at it funny the tone changed. Probably all in my head but it drove me nuts none the less :oops:
Next I went over to the dark side for a year or so with an Axe-Fx. That was a deep rabbit hole of tweaking and dialing that ultimately made me lose a step with my playing because my practicing turned into tone chasing tweaking sessions. It did nail EVERY sound you could think of but the allure of always improving instead of playing was too much for me.
I sold that and bought a Splawn Nitro head. This amp was awesome! It is Jaymez in a box. I have never heard of any other amp that can so perfectly nail Hetfield' s live sound as a Splawn Nitro can. The only problem was that amp only sounded good LOUD! And it only pulled off that one tone with a scrappy clean.
I currently play a Mesa Roadster head and couldn't be happier. The Recto amps if dialed properly and combined with the right pups and speakers can achieve Metallica' s studio sound as well as their more wild and wooly live tones all the while giving you the "wall of sound" that the Recto lineage is known for. My Roadster' s clean channel is the best I've ever played as well.
Anyway, sorry for my ramblings. You will do well with any of the choices you have in mind. You obviously have done your homework and are spot on with how you want to use the multiple loops of a Road King. Being able to have a chorus pedal always on for the cleans and maybe a delay in the second loop would really kick ads as well as the progressive linkage. I was able to play my Roadster side by side with a buddies Road King and I can tell you that even with the EL34s rocking the tone was too close to tell apart so besides the loops and speaker options they are the same amp. (Well, pretty much anyway)
The cool thing about the Roadster/Road King series is that there's something different in the midrange and the gain structure that makes them sound and feel like a Recto and Mark series hybrid. At least that's how it seems to me. The fizzy chainsaw sound is tamed a bit and there is a smooth liquidity that's not present in other Recto amps making the Roadster/Road King a more versatile amp with a great lead voice if you dial it in for one.
I could go on and on but I hope you get the gist. I'd be happy to answer any other question you have on 'tallica tones or anything you want to know about what amps I've used.
What I dont really get is, what makes either a good lead/rhythm amp? Like if I have a rk, are people (musicians) going to seriously going to hear it and say "oh yeah hes got a recto, lead sound = bad."?
Just curious. As I havent played either. But I can say I do like a nice tight sound. With a recto, Is the "looseness" that exaggerated? Will I be unable to play good fast rhythyms?
With a Dual or Triple Recto a creamy lead tone with lots of midrange is hard to dial in without external fx. The Roadster/RK does it better, not Mark IIC+ good but pretty **** good. As far as looseness goes I can get plenty of attack and note definition to play Battery and Blackened so no worries. Just dial the bass and gain back a bit and you can get close to Mark series tight. Add gain, mids, and bass and you have creamy solo city.

Thank you.
SO much.
That was great info and I appreciated the takes on the other amps!
Still planning on the RK. dont feel like the marks have the features I want.
Thanks alot! And thank you for reassuring me that my lead sound will be okay with a recto.
Now only a few months before I have the money haha (high school junior here btw)

Shaun said:
Thank you.
SO much.
That was great info and I appreciated the takes on the other amps!
Still planning on the RK. dont feel like the marks have the features I want.
Thanks alot! And thank you for reassuring me that my lead sound will be okay with a recto.
Now only a few months before I have the money haha (high school junior here btw)

No problem. :D
Jr. in HS? You're my daughter's age. :lol:
That's what's so cool/funny about the interwebs. You never know who's on the other end.
You will love the RK. And it's an amp that you will never out grow or get bored with.

Yes I'm hoping for that one amp that will stay with me pretty much forever. Dont want to settle for anything. Especially as im always trying to find good tone and make mine better.

Shaun, No matter which Mesa you decide on, two things you will love are the support they give and the build quality of their amps. I have never had an issue with either my Mark IV or my Nomad. Both are built like tanks. On support, Mesa is exceptional. I have called them several times with technical questions about my amps. They have always given me first class answers. They never rush to get you off the phone. They always take time to make sure that you are 'okay' before they end the call.

Hey there Shaun, don't worry about Kirk this, James that. I am sure you can find Shaun's tone in any kind of amp, you just have to seek it. From what I've read, those Road Kings sound pretty darn versatile. Follow YOUR heart. Don't try sounding like somebody else.

I appreciate this.
Hadnt realized tone was such a deep personal thing lol
I do want to find MY tone.
However, I enjoy theres and the tonal qualities of it. Therefore I would like a tone similar.
Im going for the road king. Have to push it back a few paychecks though as I just picked up an LTD EC-1000 today. Could not pass it up, $325 with hard case. Great condition, plays great.

tele bender said:
Hey there Shaun, don't worry about Kirk this, James that. I am sure you can find Shaun's tone in any kind of amp, you just have to seek it. From what I've read, those Road Kings sound pretty darn versatile. Follow YOUR heart. Don't try sounding like somebody else.
Trying to emulate a guitar tone you love is a lot of fun and ultimately will teach you a lot about amps and gear in general. There's nothing wrong it. In fact I believe it's paramount to discovering your own voice.
I agonized after the perfect Metallica tone for a long time. I bought gear specifically because James owned it. :lol:
If I didn't go down that road I may not have discovered Boogie nor would I have learned that even though I dig someone else's sound doesn't necessarily mean that it will fit me and my style.

When you do get your Mesa, get the manual and read it several times. Their manuals are some of the best in the industry. Learn what the amp can do with your guitar. Use the suggested settings as a starting point. Dial them in, and then start playing with them. For example, if the suggested setting has treble set to 4, change it to 8 and play for a while with it - learn what impact that adjustment made. Move the gain up and cut the treble back. Learn how each know impacts what the amp produces.

There are an incredible amount of settings that you can use with these amps. You can either try to memorize every possible setting you will ever need, or, you can learn how the amps work and how to quickly dial the exact tone that you need. I found the latter to be much easier. (There are a lot of settings that you memorize simply because you use them a lot).

Take your time, don't rush. Enjoy the time you invest in learning your new amp. If you are like me, you will have a blast.

If you were thinking Road King or Mark V, maybe consider a MK IV and a used Dual Rec. Those two heads on a cab would cover a lot of useful territory. Be about the same price also?

Latest posts

Back