Cleans: Better through a 2x12 or 4x12?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lespaulguy32

Reaction score
Hey there, ladies and gents! I've been saving to get a 4x12 (boogie, of course ;) ) and I've been wondering what people prefer; to put their cleans through a 2x12 or 4x12 cab.

I use a Road King combo, and have ALWAYS loved the cleans on it, but I've always wanted that beefy, thick sound for the dirty stuff. So, when I get a 4x12, I know I'll put it through the dirty channels, but the clean channels, I wasn't sure about, as some purists prefer clean sounds through combos or 2x12s.

So, just wondering what everyone thinks.

Have a great day, all. :)

I don't think it will make much difference whether 2x12 or 4x12 all else being equal.

The bigger difference will be which speakers and open back vs. closed back vs. half-open back. I like open back for cleans.

elvis said:
I don't think it will make much difference whether 2x12 or 4x12 all else being equal.

The bigger difference will be which speakers and open back vs. closed back vs. half-open back. I like open back for cleans.

Hmm, I wasn't aware that it made that much of a difference! Thanks! :)

Cool, so the general consensus goes for open back for cleans, closed back for dirty. I'll most likely go for that, judging by what everyone else is doing... :p

To me, the biggest difference is between an open back and closed back design rather than a 2x12 vs a 4x12, all other things being equal. I like the sound of cleans with an open back cab, just my opinion. If I'm playing tight, distorted riffage then I prefer a closed cab.

elvis said:

+1
Half-back cabs are wonderful for this flexibility.

Latest posts

Back