Stereo Setup: Roadster, Mark IVB, TimeFactor

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
I had been interested in setting up a stereo rig but ultimately decided it wasn't worth it. The I struck a great deal on a Mark IV giving me two great amps (Roadster, Mark IV) that I would like to try putting together a stereo setup. I'm not going for a wet/dry/wet setup but rather two amps to run stereo effects between and create spatialization. I have tried a few things but I'm running into the problem of the Mark IV's Master Volumes for each channel also act as effect send levels. Anyways, the result was I would turn up a channel on my Roadster and it would affect the Mark IV! Basically, everything was working...but not working in what could be considered a normal way. :(

The main stereo effect I want to run between both amps is my Eventide TimFactor. How would you guys go about setting this up? Hasn't really worked so I would like to hear what you would do if you had both amps, a TimeFactor, all the cables you would need, and a guitar? I'm not opposed to Slaving one of the amps but based off how complicated these two amps are, that may be easier said than done.

On one of my first attempts I split the guitar signal and went straight into both amps. Then I connected the TimeFactor to both FX loops. Everything sounded fine, but the amp controls didn't behave as expected, like turning up the Roadster Channel Volume and having the Mark IV get significant louder.

I have all the parts, I just need some help putting them together! Any advice you might have would be greatly appreciated!

Given To Fly said:
I have tried a few things but I'm running into the problem of the Mark IV's Master Volumes for each channel also act as effect send levels.
The Roadster is the same, the channel master is pre-FX Loop send.

Given To Fly said:
On one of my first attempts I split the guitar signal and went straight into both amps. Then I connected the TimeFactor to both FX loops. Everything sounded fine, but the amp controls didn't behave as expected, like turning up the Roadster Channel Volume and having the Mark IV get significant louder.
Something is indeed wrong there. Sounds like the output of the Timefactor is mixing the channels together. If the stereo channels are separated 100% that should not happen. Is there some kind of PAN control? Make sure the unit is panned L R, not center.

Dom

domct203 said:
Given To Fly said:
I have tried a few things but I'm running into the problem of the Mark IV's Master Volumes for each channel also act as effect send levels.
The Roadster is the same, the channel master is pre-FX Loop send.

Given To Fly said:
Something is indeed wrong there. Sounds like the output of the Timefactor is mixing the channels together. If the stereo channels are separated 100% that should not happen. Is there some kind of PAN control? Make sure the unit is panned L R, not center.

Dom

The first time I tried this set up I had more which means more cables. :roll: I must have crossed cables somewhere because I just tried the same setup using only the TimeFactor and the volume controls worked properly on each amp.

I need one amp to simply be a power amp and speaker that receives the Right Side FX signal. Should it be as simple as connecting the Right Output of the TimeFactor to the FX return (mono) of the Mark IV? Nothing else would be connected to the Mark IV.

You could do that, using the MKIV as a Poweramp, and would be the simplest and less problematic approach.

I would use an A/B/Y box and split the guitar to both amps, put the left channel of the Eventide in the loop of one amp, and the right channel in the loop of the other. You'll get a mix of both amps that way.

You might develop some ground loops, either way tho. An A/B/Y box with isolated outputs and signal phase control would be best if you went with one. Radial makes a nice one:
http://www.radialeng.com/r2011/bigshotaby.php

Dom

I thought I typed that part...I guess not...I actually have a Radial Bigshot and it really weakens the guitar signal going into the amp(s). Thats one reason why I'd like to split the signal after the preamp. I'm using two guitars, an Ibanez RG2228GK with EMG808x's and an EBMM JPX7. While the EMG's are obviously active, the JPX7 has a battery though I don't know if its exclusively for the piezo pickups or if its wired into all the circuitry.

I actually got it all working, or at least the stereo part. I'm connecting my Roadster's FX loop to Input 1 and Output 1 of the TimeFactor and only connecting Output 2 to the Mark IV FX Return. Now I just need to add everything else (pedals basically) piece by piece and hope everything keeps working! :)

Given To Fly said:
I actually got it all working, or at least the stereo part. I'm connecting my Roadster's FX loop to Input 1 and Output 1 of the TimeFactor and only connecting Output 2 to the Mark IV FX Return. Now I just need to add everything else (pedals basically) piece by piece and hope everything keeps working! :)

That would mean all your preamp tones come from the Roadster...

KH Guitar Freak said:
Given To Fly said:

That would mean all your preamp tones come from the Roadster...

Correct! There are other possibilities I may look into but this setup satisfies my requirements.

Back