Which replacement speaker for Maverick?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enigma

Reaction score
I have a 1x12 Maverick loaded with a Black Shadow speaker that just blows! When I play it through a 4x12 loaded with V30s, it just sounds great. The obvious answer seems to get a V30 for it. Any other speakers I should consider?

I have a 2x12" Maverick combo and two of my favorite speaker combos is V30s and Weber's Blue Dog / Silver Bell both alnico. I would filp flop between the two. The V30 for more aggressive tone (especially with silicon rectifier) and more bluesy softer squishy tone with the Weber combo especially with the tube rectifier.

If you want something in-between the two, try Celestion Greenback and Heritage. I think Matchless DC30 uses this combo. [ note: please correct me Matchless owners if this is incorrect ]

You ended up sounding like two different amps tones flip between the two speaker combo.

A Celestion Gold would cost a little more, but it would be a pretty decent match for your Maverick.

I have tried a bunch of speakers and like the Weber Blue Dog the best. I tend to run the amp slightly overdriven; a little crunch but cleans up by playing softer or using the vol. knob. Good amp, enjoy!

I LOVED a JBL G125-8 in my 1-12 Maverick. It made it sound much "bigger", fuller, tighter bass and sweet, clear highs. My guitars all sounded more like individual instruments with their own character.

Looking forward to putting the same speaker in my new (to me) DC-5. The V90 is not a favorite of mine, too murky and weak.

Not a fan of Celestions, especially if you are only running one in a fairly small cabinet.

I have a Maverick 2x12 with the original Celestion V30s. Maybe the V30 is not the best choice for a 1x12, but I definitely like them in 2x12 and have never been tempted to change them.

What specifically do you not like about the Black Shadow?

Back