How do I connect a Bass amp and a Mesa Boogie guitar amp?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elpelotero

Reaction score
I'm playing bass at a gig this Friday and had the bright idea of connecting my bass rig (Eden 400w into Eden 4x10) with my guitar rig (either the C+ or the Rectifier into a Mesa 4x12) for added crunch and tone. If anybody follows Metallica or Muse you'd know the bassists do these kinds of things.

Anybody here know how to connect something like that up without blowing out the guitar amps?

Elpelotero said:
I'm playing bass at a gig this Friday and had the bright idea of connecting my bass rig (Eden 400w into Eden 4x10) with my guitar rig (either the C+ or the Rectifier into a Mesa 4x12) for added crunch and tone. If anybody follows Metallica or Muse you'd know the bassists do these kinds of things.

Anybody here know how to connect something like that up without blowing out the guitar amps?
I would try an A/B box after the bass with a comp/limiter & graphic or parametric EQ before the guitar amp.

Make sure you record clips!!!

Dom

At first I thought this was a joke, but after reading the OP, I agree with the above post. You're going to need to put an EQ in front of the guitar amp to dial out the frequencies that it isn't designed to work with.

Actually, Chris from Muse uses 3-4 BASS amps - one run clean and the others using different effects. He uses different types of overdrives, fuzz, synth, and sometimes Sansamp and/or Kempler modelers. I don't think you'd get the same tone or effect running your signal through a guitar amp, which is not voiced for bass frequencies.

Authorized Boogie said:
Actually, Chris from Muse uses 3-4 BASS amps - one run clean and the others using different effects. He uses different types of overdrives, fuzz, synth, and sometimes Sansamp and/or Kempler modelers. I don't think you'd get the same tone or effect running your signal through a guitar amp, which is not voiced for bass frequencies.

This is truth. While I don't know much about Metallica, I'm a bit of a Muse nut - they're my favorite band. It would still be interesting to read the OP's opinion of his results, though. Experimentation is fun!

You don't need to worry about the amps as much (as long as you are running normal signals) as the speakers. If you can cut out the low bass your speakers should be ok. I recorded bass on an album running an orange rockverb 50 head into a bass cab.

Elpelotero said:

Elpelotero,
if I am not wrong, Coliseums (both II-B and II-C+) are a guitar and bass amplifier. You just need to make sure you connect a bass cabinet to your Coliseum so you don't blow your guitar rig due to the much higher power that bass notes carry. They will sooner or later destroy your guitar speakers.

I apologize in advance if I am saying something really obvious.

Kind regards

Latest posts

Back