Transatlantic TA-15 Owners!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilFromLondon

Reaction score
Hey all. I'd like some advice from those who own, have owned, or have played the TA-15.

I have a Fender Supersonic 60w combo at the moment. It's pretty big and I have a Fender Super 60 that I use for band practices. So naturally, this one stays at home and while I love the Bassman setting, it's loud and I don't get to drive it at all so It's wasted on me.

I thought that a 5w would be my thing but the Slash SL5 just might not be what I'm looking for, then I saw the TA-15, and it looks great and can be used in a multitude of settings. So I called up my local shop and they offered me a great deal on trade in on the Supersonic and the TA-15 with a 2x12 Rectifier Horizontal Cab, which they'd need to order in and deliver directly to me. I get 2 weeks to return it with no questions asked, so I'm okay if I don't like it.

The concern I have is that I had a Lil Night Train and I thought it wasn't all that, I played the little Orange thing, the Micro terror and thought it was okay. I'm worried that like those other lunchbox amps, it just won't compare to the tone that my Supersonic or Super 60 has because these small heads are somewhat lacking. It sounds good in videos but videos can be misleading.

I hear folk talk positively about the Egnater Tweaker and that this one is even better, so I'm hopeful. I play Hendrix/Stones/Pumpkins/Queens of the Stone Age/Reverby stuff.

Can anyone alleviate my concerns?

Sorry for the long post, Phil. :)

The clean channel on the TA-15 did not work for me as it lacked headroom.

The distorted stuff was very good; however, it's not the typical "Boogie gain" despite what the manual says. You've got no negative feedback loop, which I think was another reason why I didn't like the cleans but enjoyed the distorted stuff. I ran my TA-15 with high gain 12AX7s and was pretty happy with it. Keep in mind that you have no reverb and no effects loop.

Unless you're doing work in the studio, I would have to recommend that you check out the TA-30 as it has reverb and an effects loops while still running EL-84s with no negative feedback.

I've also owned an Egnater Tweaker and thought it sounded and felt like a modeling amp. And upon talking to a tech at Egnater, he confirmed that it was not an all-tube signal path. I would leave the Tweaker alone.

In the end I sold the TA-15 to eventually work my way toward a Lonestar Classic.

Hope this helps.

I never ever use the effects loop and I use a EHX Cathedral Reverb so in a way, it's not useful to me anyway.

25W is quite a lot of amp to have cleans without breakup, I've read that it will stay clean up until you start to push it. Wouldn't a larger cabinet have sorted it?

Why would it matter whether I'm in the studio? I'm at home, I want good bedroom volumes that give me good tones, that are as good as the combo I have and can be used for gigs. I can't be loud, and the 30 is louder.

:)

I've used my TA-15 in a variety of band practice and gigging settings, mostly in 15W mode but also in the 25W Dynawatt mode, and I've had no problem with clean headroom, and that's un-mic'ed AND with relatively loud drummers. If you're going to use the amp's natural dirt and want reverb though I'd suggest going for the TA-30 with its reverb and/or FX loop.

You really need to try it. It's got its own thing going on, and you will like it or not. I was impressed, but didn't like it, even though I have an Electradyne that I love. It has a very specific tone character that didn't sit well with me. I wound up with the MR for great bedroom-level tone. I use it at quite low gain and low volume and it's nice and punchy. The "pushed" setting on the clean channel really helps break it up at low volume, and does a nice job of revoicing it, too.

For stuff like the micro terror, that is substantially solid-state, so I wouldn't extrapolate the results to all lunchbox amps. The Mesa lunchboxes are solid.

Hi PhilFromLondon,

Notice the section of the forum for "Atlantic Series" amps. There are several TA-15 topics, all about the amp, tubes, speakers, etc.

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewforum.php?f=37

This thread in particular, has links to many of the other threads, lots of good reading.

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=64563

I had two new Egnaters (yeah, call me a sucker), a Tweaker 40, it blew the PT twice. I had a Rebel 20 that didn't last 24 hrs. Stay away from junk-*** Chinese Egnaters. Check the Egnater forum, nothing but transformer problems across the entire line, and poor customer service.

The Orange Tiny Terror has killer distortion, but a one-trick pony with a lot of hiss when turned up.

I think that the TA-15 is fantastic, great clean and killer distortion, and very versatile. 8)

Back