Mark IV or Mark V

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GieBoo

Reaction score
Sure to get cheers and jeers here with this one. I have owned a Mark IV combo 1x12 since 2008 and recently (last year) bought the closed back 1x12 extension cab for it.

A friend of mine purchased a Mark V head and 2x12 closed back Rectifier cab. It sounded so good I had to buy one, and the only way I could justify that rig was to sell my Mark IV set up. Well ... After some gigs and rehearsals with the V, I have decided to keep the IV and sell the V. So thankful I didn't sell the IV in time to figure that out.

Don't get me wrong, the V is incredible. The clean channel and channel two are amazing. Channel three offers the fury of Boogie gain to the 10th degree; however, that 3rd channel to me sounded a little tinny. I liked the solo button on the Mark V, and the effects loop is quite good. In fact for those switching from a IV to a V, one helpful hint is that you have to look at the V like Boogie promotes it: 3 separate amps in one. You no longer need to think of channel two as your ehythm and channel 3 as your lead. Now you can use each channel as both rhythm AND lead with the boost switch. This opens up a whole new world of possibilities.

At the end of the day for me, the V sounded a little too refined, and while its design is to be a "collection of various amps", including the Mark IV, the Mark IV itself is it's own amp. I found it to be sweeter in tone, and have, well, more mojo. Since it's its own amp, and the channels share some pathways, the transition between each channel is smoother and there's more continuity.

Has anyone who has both or have owned both agree or disagree.... ?

GieBoo said:

I currently have a Mark V and in the last couple of years I've had a IIC+, III red stripe, and a IVa - I can't exactly tell you why, but the only one I have left is the V... I live on channel 3, I play in punk and thrash bands, and besides the occasional vacation over to channel 2 - i don't use the other channels all that much, so my preference is soley on the lead channel.. I sold my V (stupid move) a year or so ago, and then on my journey back to it, picked up a IV, thinking it was going to be close enough to the V, and something about, just didn't grab my attention, granted I had no expierience with the Mark IV, and only had it for about a week, but when I had it dialed in (or what i assumed was dialed in) - it didn't knock me off my *** like the Mark V did.. could have been crappy tubes (it also had 6l6 and el34 loaded in it) - looked like generic preamp tubes, could have needed a cap job, who knows.. but at the end of the I sold it and bought a brand new V.. and haven't looked back.. I don't even shop around and look at other amps anymore.. I'm totally happy.. I think at the end of the day it's up to what fits you the best... people gush over the old marks, and they're all great amps.. me personally, i prefer the V... and I don't care that I can't tell you why :eek:

exbest182 said:
GieBoo said:

"I can't tell you why" :eek:

That's what they call Mojo! When you can't explain why. :) For me there was sweetness with the IV that wasn't there with the V. But at the end of the day, I wish I could justify keeping both. Plus I was comparing a Mark IV combo with a 1x12 extension closed back Boogie cab to a Mark V head with a 2x12 Closed back Rectifier cab. So there's a chime that comes with the half closed combo that a 2x12 closed cab won't have. Combined with the 1x12 closed back cab, the combination of 1x12 combo sitting on a closed back 1x12 cab will have sonic qualities that vary from a 2x12 cab. The fair comparison would be to have a 1x12 Mark V combo with the 1x12 extension.

But the whole Mark series is such a great collection of amps. Definitely my favorite Boogies next to the Lonestar series.

The IV has the better lead channel but the Mark V has the better 2nd channel. Just put an EQ pedal in the loop of your Mark IV, like the MXR 10 band. Set the level on that pedal up a little and that's your volume boost.

If you think the V is too refined compared to the IV, try a Mark III. A good sounding III is even more raw and angry sounding than the IV. The Mark III is less versatile of course but when comparing just the lead channel, the Mark III punches the Mark V in the gut and steals it's lunch money. :lol:

danyeo1 said:
The IV has the better lead channel but the Mark V has the better 2nd channel. Just put an EQ pedal in the loop of your Mark IV, like the MXR 10 band. Set the level on that pedal up a little and that's your volume boost.

If you think the V is too refined compared to the IV, try a Mark III. A good sounding III is even more raw and angry sounding than the IV. The Mark III is less versatile of course but when comparing just the lead channel, the Mark III punches the Mark V in the gut and steals it's lunch money. :lol:

i have both the IV and V. Both sounds great! I think the V may need a bit more tweaking on my end.IMO, the only way to really hear how good the amp can sound is with a band situation. I haven't had much time to test the V as with the IV. I'm going to test the V out with a drummer tomorrow and see how much I can tweak it to sound good before i decide which I may sell as i need to unload an amp.

I finally had time to tweak my V and jammed for it 3 hours with a drummer. I have to say that it is just awesome! When the volume is low, the amp can stretched it's legs. When you crank it with a drummer like all loud amps are made for, then you can really hear just how good the amp sounds. I'm keeping this amp for sure as well as the IV, both are fantastic amps and really can't say one is better, although the V has a bit better cleans.

Either amp is a winner! Just decide which one you want and you'll be happy.

Back