My gear definitive! High Gain Amp! What say me?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What head is better for me?

• Blackstar HT100

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Carvin Legacy 3

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • EVH 5150 III mini

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Peavey 6505

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Peavey 6505+

• ENGL Screamer 50

• Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 plus.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

maloteslos

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm a new head for play with my band (we play rock/metal, hard rock and ballads). We normaly play in places to 1000 or 3000 persons, I need a head for play in this type of places. The tone? Well, I'm looking a head with a good clean channel that not break so fast, (with much headroom) and a killer distortion (loose, modern, heavy, powerfull, defined, articulate, agressive and with much sustain like for make a good tapping). I want a head with a good quality of build, that I can use for several years without many problems.

My influences?

-Story of the Year (love this).
-Alter Brigde (love this).
-Kutless.
-Dream Theater.
-Godsmack.
-Lostprophets.
-Evanecense.
-Avenged Sevenfold.
-August Burn Red.
-All time low.
-Nickelbacks.
-Switchfoot.
-Simple Plan.

My guitar is a Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 made in USA and my cabinet is a Mesa Boogie Rectifier Traditional 4x12" with Celestions V30.

I have a list of the heads that I think buy:

-Blackstar HT100.
-Carvin Legacy 3.
-EVH 5150 III mini.
-Peavey 6505 or 6505+.
-ENGL Screamer 50.
-Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 plus.

Only can buy one of these heads of the list. What you can recommend me? Give your 3 best options. Please, you can help me?

My humble opinion based on what I've played:

I wouldn't opt for either Peavey 6505 because the cleans are really not great, and the distortion tone is a very "rough", in your face kind.

The Express is a cool amp but I didn't really fall in love with the higher gain sounds, the clean and crunch were great but the drive seemed a bit mushy and weak. I played the 5:25 however. I don't know if they've changed anything for the "+" versions either.

I really liked the Blackstar HT100 - played it through a cab like yours and I must say it's a great amp, hard to get a bad tone out of it, great distortion tone and surprisingly good clean.

Though based on what you've listed as your influences I'd recommend the new Mesa Dual Rectifier, if you can afford one.

Good portion of those bands plays rectifiers and you can have them for a good price. However because of the taping thing I would suggest the EVH as it can sound close to the recto and better for taping.

Ha, I was going to make a joke about posting in a Mesa forum and having Mesa heads recommended to you. Then, I looked at your 'influences' hahahaha!!

So, answer me this: A Recto is the 'foundational' tone for most of the acts you listed so why aren't you even considering one? I'm sure the Single Rectos can be had on the cheap and while the Recto clean is not astounding compared to, say, many other Boogies, it is far FAR superior to many other amps.
If you can afford it, the Recto Reborn has a sick clean tone and crunch tones, not to mention being switchable between 50 and 100 watts as well as channel assignable rectification. Listen, I'd recommend something else but you sound like you'd like a Recto so I'm just being straight up with you. Playing for 1,000 to 3,000 people through a 4 x 12 makes me think a Dual or Triple would be fine for your needs. Super small stuff is better handled with a mini but I don't think that's what is going on here.

Take care and good luck!

YellowJacket said:
Ha, I was going to make a joke about posting in a Mesa forum and having Mesa heads recommended to you. Then, I looked at your 'influences' hahahaha!!

So, answer me this: A Recto is the 'foundational' tone for most of the acts you listed so why aren't you even considering one? I'm sure the Single Rectos can be had on the cheap and while the Recto clean is not astounding compared to, say, many other Boogies, it is far FAR superior to many other amps.
If you can afford it, the Recto Reborn has a sick clean tone and crunch tones, not to mention being switchable between 50 and 100 watts as well as channel assignable rectification. Listen, I'd recommend something else but you sound like you'd like a Recto so I'm just being straight up with you. Playing for 1,000 to 3,000 people through a 4 x 12 makes me think a Dual or Triple would be fine for your needs. Super small stuff is better handled with a mini but I don't think that's what is going on here.

Take care and good luck!

Ditto.
And if you hadn't defined "loose" in your tone desires, the mark 4 or 5 would also fit the bill.

YellowJacket said:
So, answer me this: A Recto is the 'foundational' tone for most of the acts you listed so why aren't you even considering one?!

Judging by the amps he listed as possible candidates I think our friend is from Europe - believe me that round here a Recto isn't really cheap even used so maybe price is a factor.

I still think you should get save up and get a Recto for all the reasons the others mentioned as well. It's a bigger loss to buy an amp you don't like for less than to buy THE amp for you for more :wink:

5150 III 50w - is a killer little amp - if you don't mind channel 1 and 2 sharing the same EQ, it's the best bang for your buck out there in my opinion.

My problem is the budget, only have 1300$ USD and... I know that can buy a Rectos with my budget but, not want nothing used, because not give me much reliability. I LOVE the Dual Rectifier Reborn is the head of my dreams, but cost in Sweetwater 1950$, and not have 1950$ USD, for this reason, I want a head that resembles to the Recto Reborn.

I'd suggest a Carvin V3 also. It's kind of a "poor man's" Recto.
Off of your list my vote is for the EVH III.

maloteslos said:
My problem is the budget, only have 1300$ USD and... I know that can buy a Rectos with my budget but, not want nothing used, because not give me much reliability. I LOVE the Dual Rectifier Reborn is the head of my dreams, but cost in Sweetwater 1950$, and not have 1950$ USD, for this reason, I want a head that resembles to the Recto Reborn.

:(

That's lame. I bought a '93 Dual Rectifier Rev F used roughly 12 years ago now. The amp is 20 years old and still going strong. I haven't had any troubles yet besides tubes, which are easy to replace.

In my humble opinion, save more $$$s and get the amp you REALLY want. The worst thing is to buy something you don't REALLY want and then to be another $750+ short and still unhappy. "Settling" is an exceptional way to spend even MORE money chasing tone.

Just my $0.05.

(As a Canadian, I can no longer offer 2 cents since Harper killed the penny!)

+1 for a used rectifier, especially a Roadster. All of my Mesas (with one exception) have been used, and they were all great amps. No major issues whatsoever.

Since you're posting on a Mesa forum, and since your dream amp is a Mesa (Rectifier Multi-watt), I'd get the Express. The clean channel is surprisingly good, and since nothing other than a Rectifier will sound like a Rectifier, may as well pay homage to the amp company that provides the tone you love so much.

Just my thought. Also don't forget that good pedals can enhance the qualities of any amp.

Latest posts

Back