HEARTBREAKER HELP

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buster Leggs

Reaction score
Just got a Heartbreaker and I have a couple of rookie questions. I want to try el34's in 60 watts. 1). Can I just put the 34's in the outer sockets and leave the 6l6's in the centers so long as I don't switch it to 100 watts? 2). Is it recommended that I switch power source to tweed instead of full normal, dose that matter ? 3). I read some ware to switch rectifier select to solid state instead of vacuum tube or I could damage amp. Is this true, it doesn't make sense to me. I'm sure I need to switch the bias to el34 also, the 2 el34's that I have are mesa str 440's. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. ......THANKS

The DC Plate voltage (B+) supplied to the tubes will be greater when using the SS rectifier than it will when using the tube rectifier. Therefore, with some amps you might be better off using the tube rectifier with EL34s, although this amp is designed for SS or tube rectifier use, and the bias circuit has switches to accommodate SS or tube rectification as well as EL34 or 6L6 use in either Tweed or Full power modes, so there should be no worry using either SS or tube rectifier, so long as the tubes are rated for use in this amp. In the 60 watt mode, the two inner tubes are disabled anyway, so if you put EL34s in the two outer positions, switch the bias to EL34. If you forget and switch to 100 watt mode with 6L6s in the two inner positions and the bias switch set to EL34, you can damage your tubes and/or amp. Of course you will want to use Mesa tubes to be sure that the rating of the tubes are correct, or be **** sure that any other tubes used are properly rated.

THANKS SHIMMILOU- I wanted to check out some of the tube options and of the el34's I have only 2 are mesa so I figured those 2 should be safe to use. (hence only using 60 watts). If I like what I hear I'll get 4 that are rated for this amp. I've read some of the heartbreaker stuff on B/BOARD but had not yet run across what you answered for me so THANKS AGAIN !!!

Latest posts

Back