Mark V EQ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anomaly

Reaction score
Does the EQ section of Mk V part of the power section? I tried to use an external preamp and the EQ does not work?

If you plugged your preamp directly into the Mark V return, with guitar plugged into the preamp, you have bypassed the Mark V preamp section which includes the EQ.

shimmilou said:
If you plugged your preamp directly into the Mark V return, with guitar plugged into the preamp, you have bypassed the Mark V preamp section which includes the EQ.

So the 5 band EQ is part of the MK V preamp? I was hoping it was part of the power section? my Randall RM4 preamp along with modded modules would had sounded great with the added EQ.. Oh well, Thanks for the info.

It's the same with just about any amp, the power amp is pretty much the PI and output tubes. Have you tried your preamp in the Mark V loop, with guitar into the Mark V?

Does the EQ section of Mk V part of the power section? I tried to use an external preamp and the EQ does not work?
Yup. I wanted to do the same thing as you. The EQ on the V is not active when you plug a preamp into the effects return jack.

This is unlike most, if not all of the prior Mark amps. I presently run an external preamp (Egnater IE-4 and/or a Randall/Egnater RM-4) into the effects return of my Mark IVA in my live rig. It sounds very good and the EQ is active. The same is true when I used a preamp with my Mark III and Mark IIC. Regretfully, the circuitry is different on the Mark V, and the EQ doesn't work when used this way.

The schematics that I have show the Mark I and Mark II have the EQ before the Power amp in, not part of the power section. It seems kind of odd that any amp would have the EQ as part of the power section. :?

shimmilou said:
The schematics that I have show the Mark I and Mark II have the EQ before the Power amp in, not part of the power section. It seems kind of odd that any amp would have the EQ as part of the power section. :?

Some Amps have presence and density at the power section.
There's the standard EQ (tre/mid/bass plus presence ) already at the preamp, and the 5 band EQ slider still at the preamp section, isn't that redundant?

Presence in the power section (off of the PI), the five band EQ is graphic, so more precise tone control over more frequencies than the tone controls.

The Bass/Mid/Treble tone stack comes into play early on in the gain stages and will effect the way the amp plays, while the GEQ is after gain saturation and mainly effects how the amp sounds.

Dom

Latest posts

Back