Different Mesa 2x12's (Compact vs Horizontal)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

npo12354

Reaction score
So, I was at band practice today and quickly realized that, based on the burning smell coming from my 60w Orange PPC112, that I was pushing it waaaayy too hard with my 3-Channel Dual Rec...and the master volume was only at 10 o'clock. I'm taking this as my cue that it's finally time to upgrade to a larger cab. I've seen tons of reviews on Orange 2x12's vs Mesa 2x12's, and I think that I'm going to go with a Mesa (though I'm still not 100% sure), but am having one hell of a hard time finding out the differences in sound between the different Mesa 2x12's (compact vs horizontal). I'm assuming that one's more focused on mid & high, and the other is more bass & scooped...but that's only an assumption.

Can anyone shed any light on the differences between the Compact and Horzontal 2x12's that Mesa offers? I'm definitely set on a closed back with V30's since I play punk and rock, and this tends to fit me pretty well.

Also, since they're all rated at 120w, does this mean that I could theoretically dime my volume and not have any problems with the speakers? I don't know if I can logistically go with a 4x12 since I drive a small car. Though a Vertical 2x12 would be cool if I could manage to have room for it.

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

Recto cabs. I was looking at the Mesa website and it says there are three different 2x12's...the Compact, Horizontal, and Vertical. The Compact and Horizontal are basically identical, but the Compact is smaller.

npo12354 said:

Also, since they're all rated at 120w, does this mean that I could theoretically dime my volume and not have any problems with the speakers? I don't know if I can logistically go with a 4x12 since I drive a small car. Though a Vertical 2x12 would be cool if I could manage to have room for it.

Sounds like there are V30s in them, totaling 120W peak. Theory has it you should be able to dime it before blowing the speakers. If dime-ing is your plan, Speakers should always be able to handle a little more than the amp can put out to withstand the peaks. The DR is what, 100W, so 120W in speaker capacity should be able to handle it

Two MC-90s should be able to handle 180 W output. The tone may be different.

Mesa will fill the cabs with your choice of their 2 options.

ANy more on this?

I just got a JP-2C and trying to figure out which 212 to get.

Mainly looking for the typical old school metallica and Dream Thester tone, rather than super modern stuff.

I would just get a traditional 412 but I live in a condo soooo.

mcr23 said:
ANy more on this?

I just got a JP-2C and trying to figure out which 212 to get.

Mainly looking for the typical old school metallica and Dream Thester tone, rather than super modern stuff.

I would just get a traditional 412 but I live in a condo soooo.

I have the 2x12 horiz and 4x12 traditional in small apartment. The 4x12 has more middles and it works great also in silent jamming. The 2x12 is boomier and I think that’ll translate to more rumble to neighbours... The reason I have the 2x12 is ease of transportation compared to 4x12 :)

Thanks!

Was looking at the compact 212, which seems to be the old Stiletto 212. Seemed like a decent option. It’s definitely a small cab though. Smaller than my Fryette fatbottom..

A compact version of the horizontal would be ideal but maybe I’ll wait and get the 412.

I do not have the compact 212 cab but that will work just as good as the standard Horizontal cab. I have two Vertical 212 cabs and one Horizontal 212 cabs. Both the Horizontal and Vertical cabs sound about the same, HUGE. I love them more than the OS Recto 412 cabs (have a new one with stock cones and an old one loaded with EV that I use with the Roadster). I got the Horizontal cab to use with the Roadster or RA100 head as I wanted to down size the half stacks a bit but I am going to keep the 412 cabs.

JP-2C sounds awesome with either but my favorite is the Vertical 212. Running two of the verti 212 is absolutely incredible and hard to believe I am getting that sound. the 412 seems to pale in comparison to the two Vert 212. As for the Rectifier amp, it will not fit on top of the vertical cab but there is plenty of room for it on the Horizontal compact or standard size. Since I do not have the compact version I cannot respond to the tone. I would also prefer to carry or move the Vertical cab over the single strap Horizontal cab. Having the side handles is a huge plus as it is much easier to use both hands to pick up the 70lbs than a single strap I can barely get two hands into.

If you have a 112 cab, and you are running with a 100W+ amp you could always replace the speaker with an EVM12L, Celestion Redback 150 or the OTR speaker. I like the Roadster though the EV speakers I have in the old OS Recto 412. I have also used a 112 extension speaker too but not often. I do not recall if I had tried the Redback with the Roadster (I no longer have it mounted in a cab) and have yet to run it with the OTR speakers. the EV speaker can take up to 300W in the black label format. Has plenty of frequency range and will not flub out either. Still a single speaker has its limits in sound pressure and perceived volume so more speakers in the 212 category will improve perceived volume and increase mass air flow. Horizontal standard size is an amazing 212 cabinet and will work well with any amp. Vertical is also awesome with the smaller heads (Mark V, TC-50, JP-2C or others of the small to medium size category). If you have the option, I would recommend the standard Horizontal than the compact cab.

Back