Mesa Mini Recto 1x12 Slant or Straight

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mindwalker

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I currently own a Blackstar HT-5 combo (with a custom designed 1x12 speaker by Blackstar) and I'm considering getting a Mesa 1x12 cabinet with a V30 speaker. I don't need much projection since I'm playing mostly at home for now so I'm only interested in a good tone at house friendly and recording volumes. I suppose a 1x12 cabinet is all I need since I don't need anything too big or heavier than 44 lbs.
The HT-5 combo sounds decent enough although it could use a bit more bottom end. Additionally I may get another head in the near future so I will probably have to get a dedicated cab anyway.

Now onto question itself..

I was told the Mini Recto cabinets are very good for their size! Now I wonder what kind of difference there is between the 1x12 slant and straight. I've read somewhere that the straight will provide slightly better focus and bottom end although the slant will be easier to make yourself heard in a band setting. Since I'm not in a band I guess the only good thing about the 1x12 is that it looks cool.
On the other hand the straight cabinet has a deeper top so I could even make it a big stack with my current HT-5.. I'm unsure if the slant will provide enough surface to support another cabinet sitting on top of it.

Or perhaps I should look into a standard Recto 1x12 cabinet ? I'm kinda aiming at the mini recto cab though because I was told it sounded better than other 1x12 cabs.. unfortunately it's a bit difficult for me to find one nearby so I might have to order online "blind folded"

Thanks for any hints guys!

mindwalker said:
I've read somewhere that the straight will provide slightly better focus and bottom end although the slant will be easier to make yourself heard in a band setting.

This is true in a 4x12 where having a slant means having two speakers angled up at your head.

In the Mini-Recto 1x12s the difference is purely cosmetic. The speaker faces forward in both cabs. I'd go for which ever one you like the looks of better (the straight cab will provide a larger shelf to set amps on).

screamingdaisy said:
This is true in a 4x12 where having a slant means having two speakers angled up at your head.

In the Mini-Recto 1x12s the difference is purely cosmetic. The speaker faces forward in both cabs.

Oh I thought they were different. Here they say that the 1x12 speaker is actually slanted ?
http://www.haggertysmusic.com/mesa-boogie-1-x-12-mini-rectifier-slant-cabinet-1x12-slant-black.html

Do you have this cab by the way, and if so, could you be so kind to provide me with the depth length of the top surface ? On Mesa's website they give a depth size but I assume it is the bottom part which will be the biggest..
if there's no sonic difference between both cabs I'd rather have the slanted but only if the top surface is good enough for my needs :)

mindwalker said:
Oh I thought they were different. Here they say that the 1x12 speaker is actually slanted ?

I guess I just learned something new. I was told they were the same but I'd take Haggerty's word over mine on this subject.

If it is slanted I'd recommend that one. I have a couple 1x12 cabs and I typically find myself putting something under the front of them to angle them upwards so that I can hear it better.

Unfortunately I don't have the specific cab you're asking about so I can't help you on the dimensions.

I used to own a rec slanted 1x12 cab and a blackstar HT-20 head. I remember that I was barely able to place the head on the cab but it did sit, not completely though. I don't know how much smaller your HT-5 is but I am quite sure it will sit well.

cool, that's good information!

According to Blackstar's website, the HT-20 head is 27,4 cm deep. The HT-5R combo according to them is 23,7 cm deep so it should fit well on top of the slant cabinet! 8)

I am waiting for a call back from my friend who actually owns one. He doesn't have a ruler with him so it will be rough if you don't mind.

Ok, it is 22cm x 46cm. I ended up calling a nearby music store.
This is what they told me but could be wrong. You should call Mesa for the correct dimension just in case before you buy it.
By the way here is what a mini rectifier measures. 24.7cm x 32cm.

kguitars said:
Ok, it is 22cm x 46cm. I ended up calling a nearby music store.
By the way here is what a mini rectifier measures. 24.7cm x 32cm.

wow thanks a lot for calling! :)
so the mini rectifier is deeper than the top of the slant cab ? Something must be wrong there.. according to Mesa's website the Mini Rectifier measures 6 3/4" deep which in cms gives 17.145 (according to google at least.. I'm googling for "(6 + 3/4) inches to cm".

Oh I am sorry, my mistake. I just measured it once again and it was 14.7cm x 32cm. The distance between the rubber feet, it is 8.5cm x 26cm(center to center), 11.5cm x 29.5cm(foot edge to foot edge).

6-3/4'', this includes the knobs and jacks on the back, they stick out a bit from the chassis if you look at the head from the top.
The actual chassis footprint is 5-3/4" deep x 12-1/2" wide. I measured it with a standard(inch) ruler.
3-1/4" deep x 10-1/4" wide(foot center to foot center). A foot diameter is 1-1/4". I live in Japan so we use the metric system but luckily I had the standard ruler with me.

I have the slant mini-rectifier with an HT5. I got the slant as I wanted a little projection up so that I could hear a bit better. I've never tried the straight mini-rectifier, but I have a straight oversized 4X12 rectifier. I like it a ton, but wouldn't mind a bit more projection when I'm standing. This is why I got the slant mini.

Sound wise, you won't be dissappointed. The HT-5 with the mini-rectifier/V30 is an amazing amp. Especially for what it costs.

Back