Please Help Me Decide

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mandoismetal

Reaction score
First off, I know that tone chasing is as subjective as asking what is the best color.

However, I'd like to hear peoples' opinions regarding their experiences.

Second, here is my "confession". Because I'm always on a tight budget, I usually end up compromising my rig. This means that I'm usually never 100% satisfied with what I get.

I've been through at least seven different rigs in the past three years. I've always wanted a Mark V and a JP6 (JP fanboy, I know) and the closest I got was a Mark IV and an Ibanez RG Prestige.

Lately I've been thinking of having a few different amps (my current Single Rec, a JCM 2000 DSL 50, Fender DRRI) and 2-3 2x12's (WGS Retro 30's, WGS Reaper HP's) instead of a Mark V and a Mesa 4x12.

What do you guys think? What seems to be your opinion? One "dream rig" or a few different rigs for versatility/different vibes?

Thanks in advance!

The nice thing about having a few different amps/cabs is that you can change things up without having to buy/sell gear.

The bad thing is that if you're not happy with any of them you now have two or three different rigs that will bleed your money out of your pocket.

I've tried several different combiniations of gear before I settled upon what I have. And, so far, I am pretty well content with this configuration. It covers the ground I need tonally. It gives me different power options. And, it gives me a 'grab and go' choice.

I have two "dream rigs". One is based on a Electradyne with a GCX/GCP and rackmounted everything and the other is a Mini Rec plus G System.

I definitely think there is no single perfect rig. I like that I can change up tone and power level and weight/complexity depending on the circumstance. I also find that I can play the same songs on both rigs and be happy with either, though they sound quite different.

And blue is the best color. Period.

Thanks for the insightful comments.

I will probably end up going with the Mark V.

Although, if my budget allows, I would like to get a Marshall JVM.

I'll have to come up with some very creative excuses for my wife lol.

I guess I could save some money by having the two heads running on a single cab either in stereo or through an amp switcher.

I like multiple rigs.

The Mark V is a good amp because it covers so much ground.
I would still recommend a sub-15 or 10 W amp in the mix
Speakers.... well that's a whole 'nother ball o' wax....
Open back and closed back 4x12, 2x12, 1x12, same combinations with 10s... it goes on

With Multiple rigs - real stereo is possible. Which preamp do you like more? stereo before or after pre-amp.

Definitely Multiple ( I recommend smaller) rigs.

Chasing tone can be an expensive habit.

You have to first define your need. I came from the 80's school of hair metal, and that is the tone in my head and shaped a lot of my technique...but.... I play in one of the top bands in my area, and we play classic rock, country, a smidgen of blues, and some pop rock originals. We do not play any 80's hair metal. I've kindof outgrown that now, anyway.

So, I need Marshall crunch and 'sizzlin' Fender (pushed) cleans at a reasonable stage volume. This basically puts me into a 40W power amp with 96dB speakers, or a 20W amp with upwards of 99 dB speakers. The tube amps that fit that bill are the Mesa Heartbreaker, and the Fender Supersonic 22. I have the Heartbreaker, my wingmate plays the Fender. The Mark style tones are only interesting to me for mid-gain modern country lead tones. Otherwise, I find the Mark series to be limiting to me. I tried a MkV in the store, and while I know I have enough skill to pick the right tubes for it, it never really did it for me out of the box. I liked the Mesa Express better. But still, I need Marshally-crunch, or I'm just not gonna be happy. I decided I don't care for 6L6's, I love EL34's that are on the edge of breaking up, and get along fine with 6v6's. Power tubes and the class of power amp has a incredibly huge impact on tone and feel.

The second thing i discovered after playing open back cabs all my life, is that my guitar playing improved overnight when I went to a tight and punchy 2x12 closed back cab. The tight and punchiness seemed to reduce the "latency" of the sound filling the space around me, and suddenly my left and right hand worked together more naturally. I have a harder edge to my playing, whether country or rock, and this type of cab brought it together for me. Once in a while, I'll plug into my open back cabs - and bask in the fullness of my living room tone, but ultimately, I enjoy them for 15 minutes or so, but then I'm back to the closed back for a month of practice and gigging. On the other hand, my wingmate is a more laid back more melodic kind of player and he prefers open backs. When I finally made the move to close backs this year, he said my tone fits my style way better now. Our vastly different approaches to guitar keeps our audience's attention.

Anyway - in summary, you need to find out what is the tone in your head relative to your objectives is - and move in that direction. The only way to get there is to try a lot of different amps and cabs and discover the ones that rock your world for what music you want/need to play. Maybe a pattern will develop in the amp voicing, speaker cab preference, and speaker selection. Its hard to say no to a Marshall voiced amp if you're into rock, and same goes for Fender and country, although I have heard very nice country riffs played through clean Marshalls and rock played through on the edge Fenders (eg. Stones, Mellencamp, etc.)

If you're into more modern tones, cleans, blues hard rock, maybe the rectifier derivatives like the Tremoverb would suit you best. If you want a blend of classic tones and recto tones, don't dismiss the much maligned Nomad, just make sure you find the right cab for it...probably a rectifier cab.

If you can't get an awesome sounding total rig for under $2k, meaning everything - guitar, cord, amp, cabinet - you're not shopping right. Most everything I own is via ebay or online classifieds in like new condition for half price of new. I think one properly configured amp is all a person needs. You just gotta pick the right one, preferably with half power switches or "amplifier class" switches! Most Mesa's over the past 15 years give you flexibility.

The more I think about it, the more indecisive I become.

I'll just let time, and my wallet, decide.

Thanks for the feedback!

Tommy G is on point, especially when you look at where your playing style is vs. where it was. I was always a Recto guy because I used to primarily play metal/hard rock and the Recto (and Mark/Triaxis) fit my style to a T. Now that I've matured a little I found myself using less and less gain and gravitating more towards classic tones which lead me to the Electra Dyne. Not saying the ED is the amp for you but figuring out what tone speaks to what you play in the present is the key IMO.

For versatility, in the Mark-tone realm why not try a Triaxis/2:90? For me that combination gave me pretty much any tone I needed. Another option would be an Axe-FX if it doesn't have to be a tube amp. Kempler Profiling amp is another great option if modelling is an option.

As far as true tube amps, if you stick Mesa, the Roadster and Mark V probably cover the biggest ranges. Outside of Mesa I think the ENGL SE amps (very pricey) as well as the Egnator TourMaster is a great amp if you're looking for something more affordable. Another option is the DV Mark Triple 6... I played one abotu a month ago and the amp can pretty much do any sound but you have to like its tone obviously.

If a MkIV and Electradyne head can be had for the price of a MKV, I'd go for the two amps. Before I bought a simul sattellite I was getting good results running this setup as a 6 mode stereo rig, the power sections matching up nicely on both amps.
Takes just a little patching but you get the best of Mesa excepting the Recto sound.
Yellow- makes a fair PA channel in a pinch. I've had couples taking their vows through this channel, and supplimented monitor systems in a pinch too.
Green- blacker than a blackface... Amazing
Blue- this is the only Boogie that sounds like this, muscular and slightly marshally.
Orange- an overlooked but very versatile channel. Dialed in you can get some very classic tones here.
Red-got two red channels in this setup... ED red solos well and unleashes more than enough gain at volume, and the boogie red channel unleashes that gain avalanche.

Just a thought.

mandoismetal said:
First off, I know that tone chasing is as subjective as asking what is the best color.

However, I'd like to hear peoples' opinions regarding their experiences.

Second, here is my "confession". Because I'm always on a tight budget, I usually end up compromising my rig. This means that I'm usually never 100% satisfied with what I get.

I've been through at least seven different rigs in the past three years. I've always wanted a Mark V and a JP6 (JP fanboy, I know) and the closest I got was a Mark IV and an Ibanez RG Prestige.

Lately I've been thinking of having a few different amps (my current Single Rec, a JCM 2000 DSL 50, Fender DRRI) and 2-3 2x12's (WGS Retro 30's, WGS Reaper HP's) instead of a Mark V and a Mesa 4x12.

What do you guys think? What seems to be your opinion? One "dream rig" or a few different rigs for versatility/different vibes?

Thanks in advance!

If you have always wanted a Mark V and a JP6 then I recommend you get a Mark V and JP6! Guitars and amps are weird like that (not so much with pedals); sometimes you just need to buy it. I remember being very anxious about the guitar(s) I owned even though they were great guitars. Finally, I just bought what I REALLY wanted which was an Ibanez Universe or more importantly a 7 string guitar. After that I don't think I went guitar shopping for 3 years or so. Take that for what its worth but I find "always wanting to upgrade route" is always more expensive than the initial "sticker shock route!"

Latest posts

Back