Soundgarden Rig Rundown (entire band)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GD_26SOUNDGARDEN5_31320332.jpg

Early 2014

austin-texas-usa-14th-mar-2014-kim-thayil-of-soundgarden-performs-DX0TRJ.jpg

20140314-Soundgarden-25.jpg

Mid 2014

kim-thayil-matt-cameron-and-chris-cornell-of-soundgarden-2014-billboard-650.jpg

Chris+Cornell+Kim+Thayil+Soundgarden+Performs+lNGIqXtj05yl.jpg

kim-thayil-by-maria-ives.jpg

Late 2014

kleinr_30nineinchnails_sdfg02.jpg

Yeah.

I've been sifting through what I can find hoping to learn things. These guys and their production crew have a lot more time, money and experience than I do, and they have a lot more riding on sounding good night after night.

It's interesting to pick out small evolutionary changes. In old pictures Kim Thayil was running the ED with the gain up around 3:00 and both the treble and bass jacked with the mids low, while the T-Verb had the mids higher than he'd traditionally had them. Now the ED is running pretty modest settings that would sound good solo but I have no idea what's going on with the T-Verb. I'm also curious about the shift from a 2x12 combo to a head+2x12, and in some pictures he's swapped the slant traditional Recto 4x12s for slant/straight oversized Recto 4x12s. Then there's the pair of 1x12s, and switching the T-Verb head/cab for a TA-30 2x12 combo. Thayil seems to have a thing for Mesa's discontinued amps, lol.

In concert footage his tone has been huge. There's a certain amount of mud present, but it works for his sound and I don't think he'd sound right without it. It's interesting that with all the low end he's pushing that the bass still stands out clear against it. That said, in 1-off TV apperances the sound engineers seem to mix them fairly muddy with more clash between the guitars.

In the footage I've watched the ED stays on the red channel the entire time. I thought the same was true with the T-Verb staying on the red (blues) channel, but I've noticed that in some pictures the orange LED looks only slightly less red than the red LED so now I'm not so sure. I've noticed that he uses a cocked wah to take his normally muddy sound and get it to cut like a knife.

It's also pretty cool to hear how many sounds he's capable of using a mix of riding his volume/tone knobs, alternate tunings, and switching guitars. At one point during a Lollapalooza gig he got super heavy/sludgy sounding and it was almost like he was using a fuzz box. When I saw the T-Verb it looked like he was still on the red channel and I was wondering how he did it as I'm pretty sure the CAE OD is a mid boost. It took a bit before it dawned on me that it was because they'd switched to drop-C. Also interesting is that with the lower gain settings the difference between guitars/pickups stood out more. The shift from G-100 w/ vintage wide to the G-300 w/ Super Distortion really stood out.

Thayil's sound is also interesting when juxtaposed against Cornell's tone, which is a fairly traditional Marshall sound that's very clear, narrow, and articulate. The two compliment each other really well. It seemed they mixed Thayil to be about 1/3rd louder than Cornell, so when Cornell was playing he cut through fine and added detail, then when he stopped playing the band lost no power.

On that note, Cornell seems to have ditched the Savages and brought in three more /13s and a couple 4x12s. I'm guessing two are hot backups, but all 4 are mic'd so I'm not so sure (when Thayil has two rigs on stage the backup cabs are unmic'd). Cornell's pedalboard seems to have gotten significantly more populated over time. I'm curious what's on there now.

Also interesting is the overall power of the band. From what I can tell Thayil is using 45w mode on the ED and spongy/tube on the T-Verb (~60-65w). Cornell's amps are 37/18w (which in pictures appears to be in the 18w position). Big, huge band... low-to-moderately powered amps... and a boatload of speakers/cabs.

And then there's Shepherd on the other side of the stage playing through a 300w SVT into a 610+810... and a 600w Carbine into a 410/115... and a Lonestar pointed at his head to monitor Thayil. Interesting that some of the trippy, effects laden "colour guitar" I thought was Thayil is actually Shepherd on his bass.

Superuknown is one of those albums I couldn't listen to enough as a teen. Happy to see the Tremoverb combo as I have the head myself.

Back