Two Channel vs. Three Channel Dual Rec/Info on Serial #

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dstaudt24

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have been looking into buying a Dual Rec lately and have been searching around quite a bit on which one to get and could REALLY use some help on some information that could help me make my decision. First off, I found a Dual Rec for a good price and got the guy to give me the serial number on it. The number is R-012508. Is there any info that yall could give me about this model? Also, I have had a really hard time figuring out which Dual Rec to get regarding two or three channel. I have done countless research and still haven't concluded on which one is better. I have read that the two channel version has bad cleans as well, is that true? Any information regarding the two channel vs. the three channel Dual Recs would be highly appreciated!

Thanks Everyone!

I have 002606, and ther is something to be said about the eatly two channels even after the transformer switch post 500. Cleans? Well... Depends on what you want it for, I guess. I, like many others, think about a blackface type clean first and foremost, but I have other amps for that, and no doubt the modern rectos are closer to that, but the clean channel still is useful... Maybe more grainy than sparkly...
One of the best wrinkles in the early models is the dual presence controls on cloned vintage... Still probably a little too hairy for a "vintage" sound, but you can really zero in on taming the sizzle while still getting all that harmonic energy.
Is the red channel better than the modern ones? I don't know... Some say so.

More important though is whether you really want the recto sound versus something that sits in the mix friendly mids better. The recto was my first Mesa, but I quickly found that I needed a mark... Then I just started collecting Boogies cause I fell under that spell.

http://web.archive.org/web/20090212135652/http://theboogiearchives.com/2ch_dual_recto.html
http://web.archive.org/web/20090212135743/http://theboogiearchives.com/3ch_dual_recto.html

Slightly outdated info, but regardless, enjoy.

I appreciate the help guys! I just wanted to clear up some of the confusion out there on the subject of these two models. I feel like the three channel would be more useful (since obviously it has more channels), but everyone seems to have different opinions on them. People say the two channels are better, and some people say the three channels are better. I guess I was just trying to find a "clear" answer on if the two channel was better than the three channel version.

Its all about what you like.
I have a three channel and for what I play, (Indie/Rock) I like it better than the 2 channel. I'm not sure about the new multi watt generation as i have not had a chance to play one but I stand by the 3 channel.

Actually, anything that says Boogie on the front and has a power cord on the back, is pretty **** good...

dstaudt24 said:
I appreciate the help guys! I just wanted to clear up some of the confusion out there on the subject of these two models. I feel like the three channel would be more useful (since obviously it has more channels), but everyone seems to have different opinions on them. People say the two channels are better, and some people say the three channels are better. I guess I was just trying to find a "clear" answer on if the two channel was better than the three channel version.

There is no clear answer, as tone and people's tastes are very subjective. Some people hate the Mesa sound altogether, and only play Marshall, or fender, or whatever. So obviously within the Mesa camp there is disagreement, as well.

However, I don't think anyone that has truly had the time to play multiple models can disagree that the 2 channels indeed do have a distinct tone from the 3 channels. It is more up front and raw, tighter...purer. That is not to say the 3 channel sounds bad. Indeed, it sounds great, and has several useful modes and tones that you will never get out of a 2 channel. For a novice or normal person, they will sound almost the same. For a tone freak, the differences will be heard. Where it counts the most--the high gain (this is a Recto after all)--the 3 channel tended to be a bit grainier, fizzier, and less defined overall. This is my experience, as well as that of many others. But like I said...there are countless on here who will argue intelligently as to why they prefer the 3 channel.

The best way is to find a used one of each and compare. Then sell the other.

Back