Mark V "Micro Review" & Express 5|50 "Micro Review"

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben ifin

Reaction score
Hi all - following on from my other post ....

Today I got the chance to spend nearly 3 hours with a Mark V Head and an Express 5|50 Head - the wholesaler got rid of their F50 some time ago.

As I mentioned before - I own and love my Mark III - its a 1986 Graphic and EQ 60w head.

My only issue with it that these days I need a much more modern semi-dirty-clean and dirty-crunch

I used my own 1978 Ibanez Artist 2618 - Dimarzio SD in the back - Dimarzio PAF in the front. Each pickup has a 3 way split - single coil / phase / humbucking.

Each head was running into a closed-back single 1 x 12 rectifier cab.

No effects were used - guitar -> lead > amp -> speaker cab

I'll keep this short.

Mark V

CH - 1 = ridonkulous = just glorious... enough said
CH - 3 = see comments for CH 1
CH - 2 = see below

Express 5|50

CH - 1 Clean = vey nice - note quite the Mark V but still very very nice - no issues at all - voicing is quite bright so get ready to tweak down the treble quite a bit
CH - 1 Crunch = also very nice - does a very good pushed-semi-dirty-clean - HOWEVER the bass needs to be run very low and even then the sound is noticeably "flubby" <- that's a technical musical term
CH - 2 Blues = its voicing definitely suits soft-harder jazz / blues beautifully BUT for anything else, its unusable / terrible sounding
CH - 2 Burn = very nice for harder crunch BUT the bass needs to be wound almost to zero and the mids need to be cut quite a bit too but still has a bit of low-end "flubiness"
Contour = very nice for both channels

Mark V - CH 2

OK - I don't want to upset anyone - and bear in mind I don't to jazz or blues ..... but my goodness, its soo lifeless / flat / sterile .... and so BOXY sounding - manipulating the EQ and EQ blend helps a bit but even then its just so useless for anything other than blues / jazz ..... all the various toggle sound "models " are just so mid-heavy and bottom-heavy - I could get something useable from EDGE, but even then it was not fantastic.

I was able to dial-up VERY good and VERY useable sounds is literally no time at all with both the Express channels and CH1 and CH 3 of the Mark V .....CH 2 on the Mark V however is just simply not-quite-right.

For sure, a couple of hi-end pedals well placed in the signal chain will probably do the trick but if I'm spending $2500 on a HEAD I want it to sound pretty freakin awesome out of the box - I'll use pedals to add spice to the sounds or to tweak the sounds A BIT, but if I have to totally "pedalize" a channel in order to make it useable, then for me, whether its a boogie or a behringer, its a total waste of money.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth ...... I have a feeling I will need to try and find a F series amp - ideally and F50 Head - as that will probably suit me perfectly.

No offence intended to any Mark V owner - CH 1 and CH 3 are AWESOME ... I was just honestly quite stunned and how crap CH 2 was for my [ modernísh-rock ] needs.

Ben

Channel two on the Mark V is a bit of a strange one until you figure it out. For crunch mode, using just the tone stack with no preset or slider EQing works very well for me. I get great Angus Young tones out of channel two. For Mark I mode, you need to really cut back on the mids and bass, and increase the treble and presence. The graphic EQ works well with getting this mode dialed in well. Edge mode... Well, I've had my head for over three years, and I still don't use edge mode at all.

Back