Pushed Dirty Clean & Modern Rock = F50 or Express 5:50 ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben ifin

Reaction score
Hi all

I have a 1986 Mark III 60w Graphic / EQ - very nice amp - but need a more modern / contemporary rock sound

Have narrowed it down to a F50 or an Express 5:50.

I don't do blues or vintage and I don't do metal / death metal / thrash / metallica / drop-tune-growl etc....

I play mainly CH1 " modern pushed-semi-broken-dirty-clean " and CH2 " modern [hard-ish] rock " with some " clean "

In terms of use, its probably a %40 / %40 / %20 split

I'm sure the " clean " will be more than fine on either amp.

So ........

=> given I mainly use CH1 " modern pushed-semi-broken-dirty-clean " / CH2 " modern [hard-ish] rock " is the recommended amp still the F50 or can the Express 5:50 match it ?

and secondly

=> will the " contour boost " on either of them be enough to effectively act as a " solo " boost ?

Huge thanks in advance,
Ben

I had an Express 5:50 for a while and I was not able to use the contour as a vanilla solo boost. At its left-most setting, I did not see a change in volume. Any setting to the right started to change my tone.

The tones I got from the 5:50 were good, but not what I get from my Mark IV (I know you have a Mark III so it's apples and oranges to some degree). I found the 5:50 to be a little too modern for me. I was not able to get as thick and brown of a tone from it as I could my Mark IV (either from the lead channel or from R2). That was pretty much why I got rid of it.

Concerning the F-50, I cannot be of much use. I have never seen one, much less played through one.

The F50 is a great amp and would probably do what you want, which is 2-channel, pushed clean and medium lead gain.

The contour gives a slight boost and a bit more sustain, but scoops the tone, so it has a bit less presence. However, a GEQ or boost pedal in the loop solves the boost issue.

The Express amps have extra modes. These tones are pretty much all available in the F50 as well. I really don't get the purpose of the channel mode switches, since they are not footswitchable, and in the case of Burn, the volume jump is too much even if it were.

The extra contour on clean is cool, and the adjustable contours are also neat, but I think not that useable. The Express+ may have a more practical solution with the GEQ added.

I A/B'd the F50 and Express 5:50 extensively, after having owned an F50 for a couple of years. I really wanted to like the Express, but found the F50 tone to be overall a bit brighter and scratchier and more to my taste. The Express sounds a bit smoother to my ear. Both amps can get clean, pushed, blues and rock tones. The mode switches in the Express don't actually buy you anything that gain adjustments on the F50 won't do.

Live, the F50 absolutely smokes. I'm sure the Express would also work well.

I would bet whether you got a DC, a 50 Cal, an F50 or an Express you would be happy.

Hi bgh and elvis

Many thanks - I just spent a fair bit of time with a Mark V and an Express 5|50 - see my other "micro review" hread -its looking like an F series is going to bemy solution.

Time to post in the Classifieds.

Ben

Latest posts

Back