Making the Heartbreaker Mk1 Channel sing?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommy_G

Reaction score
I mostly use the Brit channel on the Heartbreaker, and I've got it dialed in so that it rocks. The Fender low gain channel is easy to dial in for a crisp clean tone (classic country lead tones with gain about 4:00 and treble at 2:30! Awesome with tele's).

Recently a friend of mine bought an Express 5:50 plus, and tonally, its crunch and burn (and even blues) channels sound like they're based on the Mk1 sound, but the big difference is that the express tones "Sing". Liquid cream. Beautiful, particularly on the burn channel.

Anybody able to reproduce that tone on the Heartbreaker, and HOW? Its got the original Mk1 circuit, but singing, liquid lead is nowhere to be found at the levels I play at. An acceptable high gain voice, yes, but no liquid cream like on the express.

The "singing" and "liquid" components of the Mk1 tone elude me.

Please don't tell me I have to have the amp maxed out at 120W to get 'the real Mk1 tone'.....OK...in fact, please do tell me if this is the case, because i'll just leave it alone until my hearing drops to the point I need 120W.

A lot of what I've read indicates that the power tubes need pushed quite a bit to get that greasy liquid violin thing going. I'll give er a whirl with 6v6's one of these days.

Latest posts

Back