Mesa combo recommendations

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hydro

Reaction score
Hi,

I am new to this forum but have had a Mesa dual recto for a few years. My band plays heavy psych/hard rock/garage; originals. Occasionally we play smaller gigs where a combo might be better than my recto through a Marshall 4x12 cab, with (for us) lower volumes and a mellower psych sound.

I have a 67 blackface Princeton which I loooove but once you turn it up past 4, it gets flabby on the low end and I don't think it can really work as more than a practice or recording amp. I am considering a smaller Mesa combo, 1x12, and I tend to prefer simpler amp layouts cause I'm not real smart. Am guessing I need foot switchable drive but don't care about an FX loop. Prefer something that will not crush my spleen when I lift it.

The Lone Star and Lone Star Special seem interesting. I like the Fender blackface tone but need a little more grunt, overdrive capability and tighter bottom end w a lil headroom. These are gigs where the drummer probably won't be mic'ed but dude plays loud.

What do you all think? Recommendations?

Thanks for any advice you can give ---

Have you tried a mini-rec. It very much sounds like it's big brother and gets quite loud too. It will pair nicely with a 1x12 or 2x12 cab. Hell you can even play it through your 4x12 if you get lazy and don't feel like lugging the duel rec around. I have a roadster and a lonestar. I love them both but I consider my lonestar to be my #2 amp. The lonestar is every bit as loud as my roadster. It has the same wattage (I have the older version that only switches between 50 and 100 watts). I would check out the express 25+ as well. I haven't heard it yet but it may work for what you're trying to do.

I would second the Express series. I have the "older" 5:25 and I think it fits the bill you described. It is not widely considered a "metal" amp. I get all sorts of tones out of it and it is not very heavy (mass) as far as Mesas go. The Plus is developing a happy following these days too. They all get big sounding when driving external cabinets and still sound awesome as combos. The 5:50 has 6L6s in it, if that's the tone you are looking for.

They're all wonderful. I can't think of a poor choice.

I've had an F50 (earlier version of the Express) that I really liked, The Express amps are great. The Electradyne is the bets amp I've ever owned. The Marks are awesome. The rectos are great, but alas, not combos. Though you could get a rectoverb or tremoverb combo I think. I'm not a fan of the TA or RA, but they are great amps.

I think you'll want to spend a few days at a large Mesa dealer.

Latest posts

Back